Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ThirdTimeIsTheCharm
Level 1
Level 1

Missing boot menu

Post by ThirdTimeIsTheCharm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:31 pm

My mom's HP laptop has been happily running Sarah for roughly two years. The system was step up to dual boot with Windows 8.1 but Windows hasn't been used(It turns out Linux is much easier for 74 year old women with almost no tech knowledge). The system last worked properly on Friday morning. It was left unattended in a motel room for roughly four hours on Friday night. The next time she attempted to use the laptop on Saturday night there was no boot option. Instead the system goes directly to what appears to be a windows loading screen. Additionally the clock has been reset for 28 hours in the future. As far as she knows she shut the system down properly.

My immediate suspicion is the the laptop has been tampered with. HP support says that there is nothing on their end that would cause the change. No one remembers the windows password so it shouldn't be a windows update. Before I contact authorities I am would like to ensure there are no other possibilities.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Missing boot menu

Post by gm10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:03 am

Could be anything starting with BIOS forgetting the boot order due to a low battery (change it back so it boots the Ubuntu boot loader first again).

Personally I consider the likelihood of somebody tampering with your 74 year old mom's device in a motel room rather than just stealing it to be extremely low and the chances of the authorities to do anything about it even lower, but I'm just some random guy on the Internet who does not know your personal situation. ;)

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:40 am

HP and Windows 8.1/10 .... sounds familiar. :wink:
UEFI Dual boot in HP computer -> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=243338&p=1300722#p1300722

ThirdTimeIsTheCharm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThirdTimeIsTheCharm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Update:

If I change the BIOS time from 28 hours in the future to the current time and reenable legacy support I can press F9 to access the boot manager, letting me log into Linux. These BIOS settings have reverted after 2 and 4 restarts. If I don't use the boot manager the computer automatically loads windows.

Mounting EFI-partitions is beyond my current skill level. As of now I am not sure how to access this, assuming /boot/efi is what I am looking for.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 pm

If your BIOS settings keep reverting I'll stick with my original idea already voiced above about a bad BIOS battery. The only thing off about that would be the time, that should typically reset back to 1970 or something, not 28 days in to the future.

Return to “Installation & Boot”