lost hardware acceleration

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richard-g8jvm
Level 4
Level 4

lost hardware acceleration

Post by richard-g8jvm »

or out of the frying pan and very close to the fire.
Using the install I made on a MSI MOBO that was none HDMI compliant
I've now changed over to a ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I.

First few times I powered up were OK then , it wouldn't boot, I could see some very quick error message then no video
If I boot up in recovery mode I can get a display up , but the resolution is low, and its using s/w acceleration, but thats only taking 3% of the CPU
The CPU is a AMD 5 Ryzen 2400G.
Although this MOBO brings up the disply very quickly I does not like the install USB in either mode, so I dont want to lose the contents of the SSD, as it will be hell to reload.
Before I do anything that could screw up the SDD , has anyone woulds of wisdom with this mix of CPU and MOBO
The CPU also provides Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics.

Does the sticky thread on AMD processors and Nvidia hold true in this situation, as CPU and MOBO are very new ???

If its any help, I found this in dmseg:-

Code: Select all

1.146468] [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.
Thanks
edited 14/8/18
I've turned off fast boot, and secure is set to "otherOS", there is no on/off otion.
If I start the LM19 boot from normal I see a very brief message of cant read or get EFI db, something like that its very quick and the boot stops
From the advanced setting selecting a non recovery mode seems to go a bit further but the boot up stops, cant see any messages.
Only if I select recovery mode do I get the options screen and continue goes to a sofware accelerated display.
Once its booted I have full access to edit any files, if I knew what to edit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”