Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (64) on Lenovo Idepad 100s 11IBY/SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MiraclesHappen

Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (64) on Lenovo Idepad 100s 11IBY/SOLVED

Post by MiraclesHappen »

I succesfully managed to install Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (64) on a Lenovo Ideapad 100s 11IBY

These are my system specs:

System: Host: mh Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Machine: Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 80R2 v: Lenovo ideapad 100S-11IBY serial: N/A Mobo: LENOVO model: Aristotle 11.6 v: SDK0K13453 WIN serial: N/A UEFI: LENOVO v: E2CN14WW date: 09/23/2016 Chassis: type: 10 v: Lenovo ideapad 100S-11IBY serial: N/A

CPU: Quad core Intel Atom Z3735F (-MCP-) arch: Silvermont rev.8 cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10662 clock speeds: min/max: 499/1832 MHz 1: 499 MHz 2: 499 MHz 3: 917 MHz 4: 1501 MHz

Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0f31 Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail version: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.5 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes

Audio: Card-1 Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio driver: HdmiLpeAudio Sound: ALSA v: k4.15.0-20-generic Card-2 bytcr-rt5640 driver: bytcr-rt5640

Network: Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!

Drives: HDD Total Size: NA (-) ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1 model: N/A size: 62.5GB serial: N/A Partition: ID-1: / size: 57G used: 15G (28%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk1p2

RAID: System: supported: N/A No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present Unused Devices: none

Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A

Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list deb http: //packages.linuxmint.com tara main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main restricted universe multiverse deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner

Info: Processes: 218 Uptime: 2:15 Memory: 935.6/1922.5MB Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0 Client: Unknown python3.6 client inxi: 2.3.56

I'm so happy because it works perfectly and has even improved the keyboard issues (no more lagging or missing keys).

However, there is one problem:

There is no sound and there is no volume icon on the desktop.

After having read and watched a few tutorials, I tried installing gnome-alsamixer but I got this long error (the error is the same whether I install it through the Software Manager, Synaptic or the Terminal). The error log is a bit long so you can find it here:[https://pastebin.com/KWhr7hWrl] .

Elsewhere I read to install pulseaudio and I did but I got another error:

~$ pulseaudio W: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting. E: [pulseaudio] module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile. E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="1" name="platform-bytcr_rt5640" card_name="alsa_card.platform-bytcr_rt5640" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.

As you can see from the info above there are 2 audio cards but I can't really understand why. What I know is that the original graphic card provided by Intel is connected to the audio card.

Someone told me that it's a kernel problem but I don't really want to install another system on this machine so I keep that as a last resort...

I'm very new to Linux and I don't know how to get this problem fixed.

Is there anything else I should check or do?
If the problem is kernel-related, is there a way to check that?
Should I switch to another distro?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (64) on Lenovo Idepad 100s 11IBY

Post by thx-1138 »

...first see if copying those files here & rebooting does the trick.
Also have a look here (hint: you might need to blacklist HDMI for sound to work, like this):
sudo sh -c "echo 'blacklist snd_hdmi_lpe_audio' > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-snd-hdmi-lpe-audio.conf"
...if nada of the above works, wait for an audio guru to further advise you.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

MiraclesHappen wrote:.
Last resort is to buy a USB Sound adapter.
MiraclesHappen

Post by MiraclesHappen »

thx-1138 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am ...first see if copying those files here & rebooting does the trick.
Also have a look here (hint: you might need to blacklist HDMI for sound to work, like this):
sudo sh -c "echo 'blacklist snd_hdmi_lpe_audio' > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-snd-hdmi-lpe-audio.conf"
...if nada of the above works, wait for an audio guru to further advise you.
Thanks for your quick reply!
Ijust wanted to let you know that I've read your reply but I'm going to try that tomorrow as it is already night in Cambodia.
I'll keep you posted on the result. In the meantime thank you!
MiraclesHappen

Post by MiraclesHappen »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:38 am
Last resort is to buy a USB Sound adapter.
Michael, buying something for this laptop is really not worth it! I'm sure I'll find a way around it and eventually try other distributions with different kernels.
Thanks anyway!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

A USB sound adapter should cost less than US$10. ... https://liliputing.com/2016/02/running- ... stems.html (Running Ubuntu on a Cherry Trail Intel Compute Stick)
MiraclesHappen

Post by MiraclesHappen »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 am
A USB sound adapter should cost less than US$10. ... https://liliputing.com/2016/02/running- ... stems.html (Running Ubuntu on a Cherry Trail Intel Compute Stick)

Thank you! That's good to know, I'll keep it as a last resort if anything else doesn't work because I live in Siem Reap, Cambodia and here it's not easy to find everything and when I do find it is often either borderline cheap quality or incredibly expensive (yeah, go figure..).

But it's very important to know that there is an option and are you 100% sure that's going to work?
Also, do you know of any particular models which work with Mint 19?

Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

No and no.

This kind of problem is off the beaten path or rare. AFAIK, most USB sound adapters should be Linux-compatible. You should check the Product Description for Linux-compatibility before purchase.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

MiraclesHappen wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am..........................
...if the tweaks above still don't do the trick (after rebooting):

1)...the commits in the Github link above are dated May 2018 and done by a Red Hat employee.
So, now you know which distro is quite likely your best bet to get it working out-of-the-box (...latest Fedora).
2)...you could also have a look around in Linuxium' site for unofficial respins (search for Atom / Baytrail in your case...)
Of course, you should check if the audio works in live mode first...
3)...i agree that 'buying something for this laptop is really not worth it": (Baytrails are crap no questions asked...),
however a 10$ el-cheapo usb adapter as michael suggested is certainly a viable solution...
MiraclesHappen

Post by MiraclesHappen »

thx-1138 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:34 am

1)...the commits in the Github link above are dated May 2018 and done by a Red Hat employee.
So, now you know which distro is quite likely your best bet to get it working out-of-the-box (...latest Fedora).
2)...you could also have a look around in Linuxium' site for unofficial respins (search for Atom / Baytrail in your case...)
Of course, you should check if the audio works in live mode first...
3)...i agree that 'buying something for this laptop is really not worth it": (Baytrails are crap no questions asked...),
however a 10$ el-cheapo usb adapter as michael suggested is certainly a viable solution...
Great hints!
I'll try everything, at the moment when installing pulseaudio libraries - some of them - the laptop freezes.
I heard good things about Fedora, I'll try it as long as I can boot in EFI because this laptop, as you know, has an intel atom processor which requires a bit of tweaking to boot.
I'm sure, I'll make it work in the end.
Yes Michael had a wonderful idea but it's much more fun to mess around the system to make it work.
Thanks again.
MiraclesHappen

Post by MiraclesHappen »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:51 am
No and no.

This kind of problem is off the beaten path or rare. AFAIK, most USB sound adapters should be Linux-compatible. You should check the Product Description for Linux-compatibility before purchase.
Thank you!
MiraclesHappen

Post by MiraclesHappen »

thx-1138 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:34 am

So, now you know which distro is quite likely your best bet to get it working out-of-the-box (...latest Fedora). It crashes. You can boot it out of the box but there is no support for HDMI, too heavy for this machine.

2)...you could also have a look around in Linuxium' site for unofficial respins (search for Atom / Baytrail in your case...) YES! This was the final solution.

It took me a very long time to fix it because, first I'm still learning and second I had to study a lot to understand the meaning of some technical terms and
to learn how to respin an ISO.

Although Linux Mint 19 Tara XFCE is the best for this machine, it also caused the laptop to freeze after a while so in the end, after having tried a bunch of different open source OS I opted for Lubuntu. It took me a while to understand how to make Linuxium work because there are connected packages to download which are not mentioned in the guide but in the end I did it!

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your invaluable help, patience and kindness, I wish the people of AskUbuntu were like you as well!!!

Now, the audio is working perfectly fine with both audio speakers and headphones. the only thing which doesn't work is the volume button under F1, F2 and F3.
After some testing I also realized that the F* keys in general are not working but it's not a big problem for me right now. Oddly enough, the display brightness
controller which is in F11 and F12 works perfectly fine!

In any case, I'm very satisfied with the result and I'll see if I can fix the F* keys problem in the future (I have another laptop which runs Linux MInt 18.3 flawlessly).

I'm now writing an article to help people like me (noobs) make their Lenovo Ideapad 100s work again. I'll publish the link below if anyone is interested or if you want to add your comments and expertise, you are welcome!
MiraclesHappen

Re: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (64) on Lenovo Idepad 100s 11IBY/SOLVED

Post by MiraclesHappen »

SOLUTION!

Linux Mint is way too heavy (yes even the Xfce) so in the end I installed Lubuntu.
For a full tutorial:

https://everythingisamiracleblog.wordpr ... 00s-11iby/

If you want to see the result in You tube (without the tutorial):
https://youtu.be/XkC-u-Qbp04
64bitguy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 64bitguy »

So the way this got, "Solved" was by moving to Lubuntu?

Not very amusing.

What's more, no offense folks; but the guidance for this wasn't really serious... "buy new hardware?".... No, that's no answer at all and it ignores the underlying issues of comparability and standardization.

First, I think everyone that has used 4.18.14 will note that a Kernel update would have fixed MANY if not all of the problems but especially the Audio buttons issue. Installing pavucontrol would have also most likely allowed you to resolve the Pulse Audio issue too and if the older Kernel recognized the device and the configuration file was correct (the new one, not the old one); but it didn't work because of the mixer loading sequence (the order matters, google alsamixer)... from then on it's just a matter of using the F6 key to toggle and yes, the Kernel update would have fixed those as well.

What makes me mad is the fact that neither Mint 18.x (1,2 or 3) nor 19 show or ship configured with even access to ANY of the last 3-generations of Kernels and I can find no reasonable explanation to why that is. Update Manager is built to do just this; but is broken in that it will not even see these official releases in the repository, yet goes unfixed for MONTHS (YEARS?) NOW.

Sure some Kernels have regression issues; but 4.18.14 is the current stable official release and people need to know that all current device driver work is all being done in there. To pretend otherwise and to ignore the importance of the latest Official Stable release Kernel is just plain stupid, especially when relating to "Known issues" that have been fixed by way of the Kernel.

Sorry, there it is.

So yeah, it's pretty sad that these issues now equate to Mint problems being, "Solved" == "I dumped Mint and moved to a different distribution by another vendor".
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...aaah....nothing better than reading a judgemental post containing ranting, along with my morning coffee. :)

...is the solution ideal? Maybe not. Could someone that knows better than me & michael provide a better alternative? Sure.
We certainly don't pull rabbits out of our magic hats.
But if you really think you know & could / can suggest better, where were you in 14 August?
Summer holidays, drinking pina colada on the beach? We're spare time volunteers here you know, it's not Microsoft's hotline.

The OP's post was done in 14 August: 4.18.14 wasn't released then.
4.18.1 was released in 15 August.
It was also suggested to the OP to try out the latest Fedora, as that's usually as much cutting edge as it gets.
Fedora also didn't came with 4.18 at the moment (their testing of 4.18 started one week later).

You should also have a look at the kernel commits.
Even as of 18 October today, the latest commit for this audio driver is still from... Aug 14, 2018.
I can only see a Lenovo Miix along with defs for some other vendors there, but certainly not the one in question.
Commit made by the very same RedHat developer already mentioned above actually, the one who was patching the UCM files.

So, besides suggesting...kernel time-travelling, maybe you could be more helpful,
and try digging out in Linux's git what other commits relevant to the OP's case are there since then.
Who knows - if you dig enough, maybe the rabbit will indeed eventually pop up...

Not sure about your Mint-specific rants either: if you had bothered reading the OP's blog entry,
he/she clearly says he/she tried Ubuntu 18.04 (besides Fedora & few others as well).
If you ever had bothered going though the Linuxium blog,
you'd know that in order to get certain stuff working, it does quite a few more tricks than just....'updating to latest kernel'.
Why such extra tweaks / tricks aren't standardized upstream?
Dunno - you could ask / complain to Linus & friends or the Canonical / RH devs,
but i assume they probably have their reasons for not deploying semi-experimental solutions out in the wild.

My huge respect to the OP for NOT giving up as the by far vast majority of people would do,
then followed by the...'obligatory' and oh-so-boring rant "linux blah-blah-why-oh-why me going back to windows".
Huge respect not only for working out this issue completely on his own with absolutely minimal suggestions from others,
but also for being kind enough to share his/her experience & personal workaround with the others.

Return to “Installation & Boot”