Installing mint xfce on a ASUS Zen book UX21E notebook

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
angelodealwis
Level 1
Level 1

Installing mint xfce on a ASUS Zen book UX21E notebook

Post by angelodealwis »

Hi
I have ASUS Zen book UX21E notebook,

The specifications are given below:
core i3-2367M CPU @ 1.4Gz 1.4 Ghz
4 gb RAM
64 GB SSD Drive - partitioned into two - 41 GB C drive (contains the windows) and 10 GB E drive (contains only data (both formatted NTFS)
Running win 7 64 bit home version

I bought this in 2014 and loved it. However, over the last 12 months the system has slowed down sooo much it is virtually impossible to get any work done. When I spoke to some of my computer savvy colleagues they told me that windows is purposely slowing the windows 7 down to force people into upgrading to windows 10.

I think I would rather move over to linux. I have little experience using linux mint xfce in older dual core computer. I have installed it in HDD with several partitions (much bigger HDD - 300 GB and not SSD drive). I have been warned by friends that the zen book SSD drive might be problematic to install linux.

My question is can anyone given me some advise as to how I should be doing this. I am planning to format the E drive into linux compatible format and have dual boot system. If that is not possible, i would format the whole SSD and have only linux mint on that computer.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Installing mint xfce on a ASUS Zen book UX21E notebook

Post by michael louwe »

angelodealwis wrote:However, over the last 12 months the system has slowed down sooo much it is virtually impossible to get any work done
I think the problem is likely caused by the Meltdown & Spectre updates or a full C:/ Drive = uninstall the updates(.?) or expand the C:/ Drive.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

angelodealwis wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:44 pm I have been warned by friends that the zen book SSD drive might be problematic to install linux.
there is no such thing in my experience. I have Mint (both 18.3 and 19) installed on the SSD of an Asus UX310, and there is no problem.
There are some tweaks that you can apply after install to reduce the wear of the SSD, see https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd
but really the default install works well already. Note that some of the advices given in that link would apply to windows too, and personally I didnt disable the sessionstore feature of firefox because it's a useful enough feature to my eyes.
angelodealwis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by angelodealwis »

Thank you very much for the replies.
Can I have dual boot system with C drive holding the windows OS and the e drive having linux mint OS? or should I format the hard drive and install linux. Because it is SSD drive (and thus not have separate platters like my older computer HDD) can I install two operating systems in the same SSD?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

It is possible to install 2 or more OS:es on a SSD, space permitting. With 10G on your E-drive, I am afraid you might run out of space rather sooner than later:
System requirements:
1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597

Return to “Installation & Boot”