Disk image of a full install of Mint 19 to a USB device

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elvino1

Disk image of a full install of Mint 19 to a USB device

Post by elvino1 »

I have read literally hundreds of posts of the full installation of Linux Mint to a flash drive and it seems to me that the primary culprit in correctly booting the uefi flash drive is ubiquity. No matter what I do, ubiquity writes to the internal hard drive of my computer, the boot record during installation. The solution offered by some is to disable the internal hard drive but this seems to me to be a sledgehammer fix.
Why is not possible to have a downloadable version of Linux 19 as an .img file that would install when unpacked on to a usb stick, complete with all the correct boot records? Or have I misinterpreted the situation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Disk image of a full install of Mint 91 to a USB device

Post by HaveaMint »

Select-New-Partitioning-Table.png
Down towards the bottom of the pic are you selecting the device for boot loader installation correctly?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
elvino1

Post by elvino1 »

Yes and I believe I have been following instructions very carefully. I know I am not alone as this and other forums are reporting the problem of ubiquity writing to the internal hard drive. In my case I want to be able to boot a portable usb drive to a variety of other machines. If I remove the uefi partition from my internal hard drive after attempting to make a standalone usb drive then the usb drive won't boot at all. If I leave the uefi partition on the internal hard drive the usb drive boots justs fine - but not on any other machine.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

You may install in Legacy mode, computers you intend to use need to support Legacy boot. Or create a Live usb with persistent partition, solution I prefer over full install, live stick can boot in both modes.

Return to “Installation & Boot”