How can I go back to 18.3 from 19. Giving up on 19!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShellKnobCat
Level 2
Level 2

How can I go back to 18.3 from 19. Giving up on 19!

Post by ShellKnobCat »

I give up on 19, just too slow and clunky for me. I have Win7 and 19 dual booted, is there an easy way to replace 19 with 18.3? I don't mind is the 18.3 is a new install but I don't want to have to do a complete fresh install of both Win7 and 18.3. Plan to go back to 18.3 Mate this time. And, please, I need step by step instructions as I'm not all that "techie".

Current gparted is attached.
Screenshot from 2018-08-17 12-10-46.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: How can I go back to 18.3 from 19. Giving up on 19!

Post by michael louwe »

ShellKnobCat wrote:.
Roughly, ...
1. Boot the Live LM 18.3 Mate USB/DVD and proceed with the install.
2. Select the manual "Something else" install method.
3. Click on the /sda5 - ext4 - Linux partition. Ensure that the Win 7 - ntfs - partition is not clicked whenever you click on something.
4. Click "-" or minus to delete the Linux partition. Click OK. If need be, delete the /sda3 extended Linux partition as well. This will result in a new free-space of 39.58GB being created.
5. Click on the new free-space of 39.58GB and click "+". A partitioning window will appear.
6. Partition the free-space as about 37GB in size/Primary partition/at the beginning of this space/ext4/mount point is "/" or root. Click OK.
7 Click on the remaining free-space. Click "+" again and partition as 1.5XRAM size/Logical partition/at the end of this space/Swap filesystem. Click OK.
8. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is /sda or the internal hard-drive.
9. Click "Continue" and let the install proceed until completion.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)

P S - 39.58GB - 1.5XRAM = size of the "/" or root partition.
....... If your RAM is 2GB, the Swap partition should be 3.0GB then the "/" partition should be 36.58GB.

Return to “Installation & Boot”