Error when booting from USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thany
Level 1
Level 1

Error when booting from USB

Post by thany »

When booting from USB, I get this message:

"unable to find a live medium containing a live file system"

I've searched around with no viable workaround found, among which:

1) Disable secure boot -> did that
2) Use a USB 2.0 port -> I only have 3.0 and 3.1 ports
3) Put USB in 2.0 mode in the UEFI -> No such option
4) Use a USB 2.0 stick -> I don't have one big enough

Look, it's just very silly. It's 2018 and USB 3.0 is becoming outdated, so requiring USB 2.0 is just nonsense in my head. Why is this problem not getting fixed? FWIK this problem has existed for quite some time. Is there something fundamentally broken?

[rant mode]Moreover, it is not finding the live file system file **on the device it's booting from**. How the flipping monkey can it not find it?? It's right there! On the same flipping disk it's just loaded itself from!![/rant mode]

Should I waste a CD, find myself a USB CD player, connect that up, and see if my laptop can my persuaded to boot from it? It seems a lot of hassle to get an OS to install, when another OS like, say, Windows 10, installs from the same USB device onto the same laptop absolutely peachy fine.

I'm on a Lenovo T480s btw. All the bells & whistles.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rui no onna

Re: Error when booting from USB

Post by rui no onna »

thany wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:31 pm When booting from USB, I get this message:

Look, it's just very silly. It's 2018 and USB 3.0 is becoming outdated, so requiring USB 2.0 is just nonsense in my head. Why is this problem not getting fixed? FWIK this problem has existed for quite some time. Is there something fundamentally broken?

Also disable Fast Boot if you have it.

How did you create the Live USB? I have no issues booting live from Samsung and SanDisk USB 3.0 and 3.1 flash drives created with YUMI or Rufus (with Windows) on a Lenovo ThinkPad X131e. The Live USB even work at USB 3 speeds (for read at least, drive's sequential write itself is pretty slow).

P.S.
OSDisc.com uses Samsung USB3 flash drives for Live USB drives with persistence that they sell.
Last edited by rui no onna on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

thany wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:31 pm When booting from USB, I get this message:

What is the live system? Mint 18, 19 or something else? Did you verify the download? How did you create the live USB?
thany wrote: I've searched around with no viable workaround found, among which:

1) Disable secure boot -> did that
2) Use a USB 2.0 port -> I only have 3.0 and 3.1 ports
3) Put USB in 2.0 mode in the UEFI -> No such option
4) Use a USB 2.0 stick -> I don't have one big enough

Look, it's just very silly. It's 2018 and USB 3.0 is becoming outdated, so requiring USB 2.0 is just nonsense in my head. Why is this problem not getting fixed? FWIK this problem has existed for quite some time. Is there something fundamentally broken? Did you make sure fast boot is turned off in the BIOS?

[rant mode]Moreover, it is not finding the live file system file **on the device it's booting from**. How the flipping monkey can it not find it?? It's right there! On the same flipping disk it's just loaded itself from!![/rant mode]
So did you come here to complain about advice you found on other sites?

USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2. Nothing is broken and nothing needs fixing.
thany wrote: Should I waste a CD, find myself a USB CD player, connect that up, and see if my laptop can my persuaded to boot from it? It seems a lot of hassle to get an OS to install, when another OS like, say, Windows 10, installs from the same USB device onto the same laptop absolutely peachy fine.

The fact that Windwoes installs from a USB doesn't say anything about what might be wrong with your linux live USB.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Did you try other methods of making the bootable iso?

Rufus is highly recommended.

Return to “Installation & Boot”