How to auto-repair a damaged Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnywhy

How to auto-repair a damaged Mint?

Post by johnywhy »

hi

Mint 19 xfce

my hard drive ran out of space. Things on Mint started failing.
I rebooted to another OS, and freed up about 2.5 GB.

Now i can boot, but the desktop looks different.
Some things don't work as expected.

For example, this command always worked, to adjust brightness:

Code: Select all

echo 5000000 | sudo /usr/bin/tee '/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness'
But now i get

/usr/bin/tee: /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness: No such file or directory
So, it seems as if, when the OS ran out of space, the first things to go were desktop customizations and hardware-related stuff.
Is that correct?

When i do `apt check`, i get a bunch of "configured multiple times", which seems unrelated and non-critical. (see below)

Any way to auto-repair a damaged Mint?
Specifically
- a way to reinstall the hardware drivers and other hardware related stuff that normally gets installed during the initial installation?
- a way to replace any missing core OS files?

Update: i just restored a TimeShift snapshot. Brightness commands work again.
Any other recommended post-restore steps that i should do?

i don't care about auto-restoring the desktop, i can do that manually.

# apt check
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons-small (non-free/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target DEP-11-icons (non-free/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target CNF (non-free/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
W: Target CNF (non-free/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list:1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to auto-repair a damaged Mint?

Post by deepakdeshp »

There is no provision for auto repair. Best thing is to keep 15% of the space free otherwise weird things can happen
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
johnywhy

Re: How to auto-repair a damaged Mint?

Post by johnywhy »

had to boot the live-cd to resize the partition.
all good now!

Return to “Installation & Boot”