Safe to Remove PackageKit?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnywhy

Safe to Remove PackageKit?

Post by johnywhy »

Mint 19 xfce

I need to optimize disk space and RAM.
I already removed the "Software" application, because i manage packages with Synaptic and command-line.
So far, so good.

From what i've read on the web, PackageKit is used only by the Software application. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PackageKit
Correct?

If so, then i want to remove PackageKit.
But, when i try to remove all PackageKit components in synaptic, it wants to remove lots of important-sounding stuff.
Any suggestions?

Update:
Instead of removing ALL packages with PackageKit in their name, i only removed the main packagekit package. That required removal of far fewer packages, none of which seemed critical. On reboot, no probs yet.

Here are the 2 packages which i didn't remove:
gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0
libpackagekit-glib2-18

PackageKit.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Safe to Remove PackageKit?

Post by smurphos »

You are doing the right thing checking the impact of removals and holding back if other non-consequential packages are going to be removed.

Just keep your timeshift up to date and keep a note of what you are removing and what gets removed with them (or acquaint yourself with the various apt logs or synaptics history function) so should you come across some ill-effects you can diagnose the cause. I'd have thought that removing it will break removing packages from the menu, although I don't think XFCE supported that in the first place?

A few other things use packagekit - deja dup springs to mind, but if you ever install it, packagekit should be brought back in back in.

Good call on leaving the two other packagekit libraries alone - removing those would be pretty destructive.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

timeshift... up to date and keep a note of what you are removing
timeshift has saved my Mint a couple times.
Not taking any notes. Timeshift works :)
removing it will break removing packages from the menu
xfce handles all the menu updates.
packagekit - deja dup
Thx for that tip! I'm trying to conserve RAM, by removing unnecessary always-on services. packagekit appears to be such a one.
Good call on leaving the two other packagekit libraries alone
:idea: :D
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

johnywhy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:31 amThx for that tip! I'm trying to conserve RAM, by removing unnecessary always-on services. packagekit appears to be such a one.
You can disable them rather than removing the package:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl disable name.service
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
johnywhy

Post by johnywhy »

Flemur wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 am You can disable them rather than removing the package:

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl disable name.service
thx, but also trying to slim down the OS footprint.
deja dup seems something i can adequately replicate with a cron job and ftp.

Return to “Installation & Boot”