Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Emergency Mode after Windows Create Recovery [solved] Disk

Post by scrognoid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 pm

I had Windows 10 Create Recovery USB. I said yes to Delete the recovery partition from your PC. Now when I boot and try to go to Linux I get Welcome to emergency mode. Windows still boots. I did a live boot and it looks like my Linux system is still there, along with windows, on my internal SSD.

I'm dual booting (EUFI) Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18.3 Mate on a Dell XPS 13.

I'm hoping I just need a bit of grub repair.

(I created the recovery usb on the "wrong" usb. It was a micro 128 GB formatted ext4 that lives in my laptop for extra storage; not the internal that holds windows and linux. I assume that is a detail that only matters to me.)
Last edited by scrognoid on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Emergency Mode after Windows Create Recovery Disk

Post by scrognoid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 am

New data point: I'm getting a TPM self test failure at emergency mode.

Also, I ran a disk check on "/" but that did not fix it.
Linux Mint 17.3 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:12 am

can you Boot Your LinuxMint Live Media,
and then use Gparted, to grab a screen_shot of the HDDs current layout,
and copy that back here, on your next reply ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:49 am

Attached. Thanks for the help.

More info: I redid Create Recovery Disk in Windows 10. It is a long process and when I returned the first time the computer had gone to sleep. I changed power options and redid it. This time I got to the Finish button. Before when I woke it up I had to Cancel. It did not offer to Delete recovery disk on this PC this time so I assume it at least tried to do that. That partition still exists as the 10GB image you see in gparted.

I tried to boot from the Windows recovery disk I just created and it didn't work. It cycles through Select Keyboard and Options. I tried several but I believe the right option is "USB or Windows Recovery DVD". It chugs a bit but cycles back to Select Keyboard and Options again, never actually booting from the USB.

Now, trying to boot to Linux, I no longer get TPM errors on boot. I get "couldn't get size".
Attachments
scrognoid1.jpg
gparted screenshot

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:05 pm

I figured it out.
The "wrong" usb that Windows touched was causing the problem. I had ejected it, but there was still an fstab entry. I removed the fstab entry and I am able to boot to Windows and Linux again.

So, something about it being a windows recovery drive made grub think it had to be readable when I tried to boot to Linux?

Return to “Installation & Boot”