Can't UEFI Dual Boot Tara 19 with Win 10 PRO

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eemarwell

Can't UEFI Dual Boot Tara 19 with Win 10 PRO

Post by eemarwell »

Hi guys! I've see some posts like mine but my problem is a little weird... I've a Dell Inspiron 7000 Gaming, i7-7700HQ, 8GB DDR4 2133 and one SSD NVME 240GB (with Windows 10 Pro Installed, partitioned in two parts of 119GBs) and one HDD 1TB with all my programs, games, documents... etc.

I've tryied already: Install Windows 10 and after that install Linux Mint 19, turn off RAID ON and enable AHCI mode, turned off secure boot, change UEFI mode to Legacy mode, none of that has been succeful, all times Mint 19 crashes when installation ends and when I restart doens't boot, only on Windows Boot Manager, tryied to install boot on Windows Boot Manager, and one another partition and not succeful anyway, tryied restore GRUB with penboot after installation, not succeful again... Someone can help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't UEFI Dual Boot Tara 19 with Win 10 PRO

Post by deepakdeshp »

Here is a nice tutorial.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295 (UEFI Installing - Tips; see Two Drives Install)

[For installing Linux on an external USB hard-drive, a workaround is to unplug the Win 8.x/10 internal hard-drive and install LM on the external USB hard-drive together with its bootloader = plug in the external USB hard-drive only when you want to boot LM.
....... The above workaround may also work for a 2 internal hard-drives desktop setup, ie after installation of LM, boot each OS via the Boot Menu of BIOS Setup by selecting the appropriate internal hard-drive as the 1st boot device]
eemarwell

Post by eemarwell »

Hi guys, thanks for the help, but still not success, the tutorial @deepakdeshp has gave to me not worked too.
I'm giving up of Mint now, sorry... I've used Mint for few months on my desktop, but on my Dell Laptop can't do it.
craigc

Post by craigc »

Success!

Setup for Triple Boot OS Computer on UEFI System:
Note:
For Windows I have found EaseUS Partition Master a great tool to easily change just about anything on a volume though not useful for Linux; Gparted very good here.
1. Install Windows 10Pro on UEFI HDD (for me SSD)
a. Complete installation, add software and fully update system to your specs.
2. Install Windows 7Pro on separate HDD (for me SSD)
a. Complete installation, add software and fully update system to your specs.
Here comes the part where I have spent over a week tweaking and playing to try to get it to work – installation of Linux Mint 19 Tara (Cinnamon) 64 bit (v2) on the UEFI system – and finally fluked it (I will explain)…
3. Used Rufus 3.1 to setup a Flash Drive with Linux Mint 19 Tara (Cinnamon) 64bit (v2) install.
a. Selected MBR (NOT EUFI) under “Partition Scheme”
b. Selected BIOS or UEFI under “Target System”
c. Installed on Fat 32 format USB with ‘default’ cluster size
4. Used EaseUS Partition Manager to wipe third HDD (for me an old 300GB notebook drive connected via an Icy Dock) and set the drive as MBR (not GPT). This drive will be formatted by GParted in Mint.
5. Rebooted and logged into Motherboard BIOS (‘Del’ key for me) at post.
a. Went to “Boot” menu:
i. Ensure ‘Fast Boot’ disabled (is on mine as it interfered with W7)
b. Under “Security” menu:
i. Ensure that ‘Secure Boot’ is disabled. (was on mine)
c. Back to “Boot” and select your USB drive with Linux Mint 19 ‘Live Installer’ as the ‘First Boot priority’.
d. Save new settings and reboot.
6. Grub menu appears to start Linux Mint 19 Live – select and start.
7. Once at the Linux Mint Live desktop:
a. Open ‘Terminal’ and run “ls /sys/firmware” to confirm EFI. (Linux has detected your system is UEFI).

8. Start the install of Linux Mint 19 Tara (Cinnamon) 64bit via the desktop icon.
a. Go through initial setup steps, i.e. language, keyboard and when asked how to install, select “Install alongside Windows Boot Manager” – Continue…
b. Ensure that the correct HDD is ‘selected’ by the installer. Follow the instructions to install
9. At completion of install, Reboot.
a. On restart my system failed, Grub 2.02 menu, not loading kernel etc.
10. Restarted system, logged into BIOS (‘Del’ key for me)
a. Went to ‘Boot’ menu:
i. Found menu option “CSM Compatibility Support Mode” and selected:
1. With CSM ‘enabled’ the following options were default for the system:
a. Launch PXE OpROM Policy = Legacy Only
b. (2) Launch Storage OpROM Policy = Legacy Only
c. Launch Video OpROM Policy = Legacy Only
2. Changed option (2) above to ‘UEFI ONLY’ – no other changes!
b. Back to ‘Boot’ menu:
i. Set Boot order to –
1. Ubuntu (Mint)
2. Windows Boot Manager
ii. Save and reboot.

Menu options appear to choose Linux Mint 19 or Windows (and other options).
• Linux Mint 19 working beautifully
• Windows 10 working
• Windows 7 (via W10 boot menu) working

Hope this assists.

Return to “Installation & Boot”