Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jaspmatt
Level 2
Level 2

No boot splash screen on laptop

Postby jaspmatt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am

My laptop refuses to display a gzipped .xpm file in Grub even though it works quite well with my (2) other Gloria installations on my desktops. here is a cut-down version of my menu.lst file for your viewing pleasure. Has anyone seen this on a laptop before?

Code: Select all

default      0

## Graphical boot menu location
#gfxmenu=/boot/gfxmenu/linuxmint.message

timeout      5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/penguin.new.xpm.gz

title      Linux Mint 7 Gloria, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
root      (hd0,2)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet

title           Windows XP Home Edition
root            (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader     +1
"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY)

jaspmatt
Level 2
Level 2

Re: No boot splash screen on laptop

Postby jaspmatt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:19 pm

After poking around all afternoon I think I have answered my own question. It appears that Mint has modified and uses their own version of Grub called Grub-gfxmint I believe. So the command splashimage is no longer recognized as valid and appears to be ignored. I have two choices here. Either live with the Mint boot screen, or apt-get remove the grub-gfxmint version and re-install the standard Grub package unless some learned guru reads this and can tell me how to use the new gfxmenu command to put up the splashimage I want.
Suggestions and comments welcome at this point.
"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY)

Return to “Installation & Boot”