Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wildalaska
Level 1
Level 1

How to make a bootable USB to install LM19

Post by wildalaska » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:09 am

I'm a Linux newbie. I have an ASUS X53S laptop running Win7. I hate it. I'm planning to use Mint 19 (Tara) because I tried Cinn 64bit 18.2 and liked the desktop. That was last winter; alas I forgot how I did it.

On my ASUS I made a 49 GB Linux partition. I plan to copy the Mint 19 ISO to this partition. Would that make the partition bootable? If so, how do I make the laptop boot from it?

(One problem with the ASUS - I used to love their motherboards but this laptop is crappy - is the OE Hitachi GT51N DVD went bad, and I can't find either an OE replacement OR the correct W7 drivers for the Toshiba TS-L633B/ACBF that I replaced it with, so the 633 fails. Thus I can't make a bootable DVD. Any ideas on that? How to make a bootable USB stick or HDD?)

I DESPERATELY want to escape Microsoft's plantation. First Linux ap I plan to install is Firefox.

Any help will be appreciated.

Rod

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to make a bootable USB to install LM19

Post by xenopeek » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 am

Our installation guide covers how to create a bootable USB: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html. I'd recommend you use that instead of trying to get the ISO to boot from a location on the hard disk.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:35 am

wildalaska wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:09 am
First Linux ap I plan to install is Firefox.
There's no need. It comes pre-installed in Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:39 am

wildalaska wrote:
I DESPERATELY want to escape Microsoft's plantation.
A noble ambition, indeed!
wildalaska wrote:
First Linux ap I plan to install is Firefox.
Firefox, and a lot of other applications, will be installed when you install the OS. One of the beautiful things about Free/Libre/Open Source software is that it's all free. So all the most popular applications are included in the OS install.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Installation & Boot”