[Solved] Having two Linux Mint OS - how to remove one

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nietwojstary
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Having two Linux Mint OS - how to remove one

Post by nietwojstary »

Hi all

This is going to be kind of a long story :wink:
I'm new to Linux (maybe couple of months) and have very little knowledge so far.
I've had some problems with setting the OpenVPN right on Mint 18.3. I could make the connection with a server outside my country, but when I used websites checking my IP location, VPN didn't work at all (I use NordVPN if that matters). I read this problem may be caused by DNS leak, so I tried to fix it using some tutorials on this forum.
After trying couple of things, my internet connection stopped working at all and I don't know what caused it. I could connect to my wireless network but couldn't browse any websites (there was some error saying the website might be temporarily unavailable).
At this point I gave up and just wanted to fix the internet connection, not caring about VPN anymore. I didn't manage to do it as well, so I thought maybe I can just install the new system (Mint 19). I've downloaded new Linux, made the bootable USB stick, checked quickly if everything works fine on my laptop (by just starting it from USB stick). The internet was working perfectly, so I decided to install it. I assumed during the installation the old Mint 18.3 will be removed and new Mint 19 will be installed in its place. Of course that was not the case :oops:
When I restarted the laptop, the old system 18.3 started loading, so I went to BIOS and tried to set the default booting to new Mint 19, but didn't succeed in this as well. Luckily somehow I fixed the internet connection on Mint 18.3 (I don't know how) :lol: I still don't know how to start the new Mint 19
This whole mess is kind of embarrassing, but:
All in all, now I have two OS and want to get rid of one - preferably old Mint 18.3
Does anyone have any tips for me?
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Having two Linux Mint OS - how to remove one

Post by Moem »

nietwojstary wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:53 am I assumed during the installation the old Mint 18.3 will be removed and new Mint 19 will be installed in its place. Of course that was not the case :oops:
That depends on which choices you made during the installation. It seems like you installed alongside the existing installation.

Do you have any data on this machine that you wish to keep?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
nietwojstary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nietwojstary »

Yes I think I chose the option to replace the old system with new, but now that I think about it, it's probably because I chose different partition to install new system..

I have all my data backed up on external disk.

Maybe I just format the partition with Mint 19 and install new system again on partition with the Mint 18. That should work right?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

nietwojstary wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:50 am Yes I think I chose the option to replace the old system with new, but now that I think about it, it's probably because I chose different partition to install new system..
Very plausible.
nietwojstary wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:50 am I have all my data backed up on external disk.
Very good! Then you effectively have nothing to lose.
nietwojstary wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:50 am Maybe I just format the partition with Mint 19 and install new system again on partition with the Mint 18. That should work right?
Yes, that sounds like it should work.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Why not Mint 19?It will be supported for 5 years while 18.3 for 3 years.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Assuming disk space is not a factor, (usually isn't, I got 5 OSes one one disk) why not keep both at least for awhile, the mint 19 not showing up may be as simple to fix as running

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
from the mint 18. and reboot. (I said may be). You didn't happen to encrypt did you?

You can of course reinstall if you want, pay attention to what partition you install to.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

The easiest solution is often the quickest, and often the best. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A CURRENT BACKUP. Why not just blow everything away and start again. In Windwoes days that ensured NOTHING was left over to stuff up your current install. Not so in Linux, but, at least you can then, based on your current experience, have more control over what is installed and where. It usually takes me less than 30 minutes to perform a clean install of Linux including booting to a live OS, hitting install, and then updating at the end of it all.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
nietwojstary
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Having two Linux Mint OS - how to remove one

Post by nietwojstary »

Thanks for all the posts!

I formatted the partition with 19 and installed 19 over the old 18.3 on the other partition.
Had some problems with booting the new system after installation, but managed to fix it in BIOS.
For now everything works just fine, but I'm sure I'll get back to you at some point for an advice :wink:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Solved] Having two Linux Mint OS - how to remove one

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
The question by timbow is now here.

Return to “Installation & Boot”