Can't boot Mint 19

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zozodj2

Can't boot Mint 19

Post by zozodj2 »

Hey Guys,

I used to use Mint 17 ages ago and want to get to back to Linux, I grabbed Mint 19 for install on my system below
MOBO: ASUS Prime B350M-A
BIOS : 4014
Processor: AMD Ryzen 1600
RAM: 8GB DDR 4 2400
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB (Reference Gigabyte)

When booting the live USB CD I got an ACPI error.

I had the same problem with Ubuntu but it worked after installing with "nomodeset" and updating so I installed Mint and the problem persisted after the update. So I tried the following:
  • acpi=off and noapic freeze during boot
  • got the drivers from the AMD website and tried following viewtopic.php?t=242474 that didn't work for either Pro or standard
  • Tried identifying Mint as Ubuntu via os-release as mentioned viewtopic.php?t=272074then installing the AMD driver. Both Pro and Standard install and no more ACPI error but it just shows a black screen. If looking in text mode it seems to hang randomly. Also pro causes cinnamon to crash
  • Added amdgpu to xorg.conf, did nothing
  • After some more digging I tried updating the kernel via ukuu and that failed too. Tried 4.16 and 4.18
Edit: Forgot to mention the following:
  • Updated BIOS to 4023
  • Secure Boot is off
  • Virtualization is off
  • Windows is installed and running fine
  • Tried X org edgers
  • Tried both ISO and DD mode in rufus
  • Tried with UEFI on
So far no joy, I hope someone here has some ideas.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
simonsaysthis
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can't boot Mint 19

Post by simonsaysthis »

Hi there,

I have almost the same hardware but never ran into such a problem. Whatever boot issues I had with Linux USBs I managed to resolve by:

- making sure ISO isn't corrupt
- writing the USB again in DD mode on Rufus (W10)
- making sure in Boot menu (F8) I use the UEFI option for the USB NOT the standard or plain generic one for the same device.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

zozodj2 wrote:.
... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=277382&p=1524806#p1524806 - seems the Live LM media has problems with Asus motherboards.
zozodj2

Post by zozodj2 »

simonsaysthis wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:47 am Hi there,

I have almost the same hardware but never ran into such a problem. Whatever boot issues I had with Linux USBs I managed to resolve by:

- making sure ISO isn't corrupt
- writing the USB again in DD mode on Rufus (W10)
- making sure in Boot menu (F8) I use the UEFI option for the USB NOT the standard or plain generic one for the same device.
Checked the image, it's good. Tried rewriting in DD mode that flunked too :( . Even in pure UEFI same problem. Can you tell me your BIOS version because 17 worked on the origin BIOS the mobo came with, I'll try that or just go to Ubuntu and put Cinnamon on it 8)
simonsaysthis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simonsaysthis »

I am currently on the second latest 4022 version of BIOS

Can you try the following settings in BIOS and see if it helps

In advanced set "power supply idle control" to "typical", it should not be on "auto"

Disable IOMMU
zozodj2

Post by zozodj2 »

simonsaysthis wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am I am currently on the second latest 4022 version of BIOS

Can you try the following settings in BIOS and see if it helps

In advanced set "power supply idle control" to "typical", it should not be on "auto"

Disable IOMMU
For IOMMU do you mean virtualization? If so it's already off
simonsaysthis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simonsaysthis »

Not just virtualisation, IOMMU is an extra option in another advanced menu. Change from auto to disabled. Either way, I doubt its that.
zozodj2

Post by zozodj2 »

Tried the powersupply and even tried turning PSS off(which seems to be related to acpi) neither worked. Trying to find the IOMMU option. If you don't hear from me consider it failed.

Edit: It failed.
Last edited by zozodj2 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonsaysthis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simonsaysthis »

zozodj2 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm Tried the powersupply and even tried turning PSS off(which seems to be related to acpi) neither worked. Trying to find the IOMMU option. If you don't hear from me consider it failed.
That said, I'll think twice to ever buy an ASUS mobo again. I still have endless ACPI issues and Kernel errors on Linux.
zozodj2

Post by zozodj2 »

simonsaysthis wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:09 pm
zozodj2 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm Tried the powersupply and even tried turning PSS off(which seems to be related to acpi) neither worked. Trying to find the IOMMU option. If you don't hear from me consider it failed.
That said, I'll think twice to ever buy an ASUS mobo again. I still have endless ACPI issues and Kernel errors on Linux.
I agree. I decided to check out Ubuntu more and the only reason it worked was because it added nomodeset to boot options when it updated. So I can't go there either.

I'm going to go send a nasty email to Asus and then go back to Windows

Return to “Installation & Boot”