[solved] Installing LinuxMint Xfce starting from a basic Ubuntu installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dashohoxha
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Installing LinuxMint Xfce starting from a basic Ubuntu installation

Post by dashohoxha »

How can I install LinuxMint Xfce, starting from a basic Ubuntu installation?
For example to install Ubuntu Xfce I can run:

Code: Select all

apt install xubuntu-core
or

apt install xubuntu-desktop

How to continue from there to make the LinuxMint customizations?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Installing LinuxMint Xfce starting from a basic Ubuntu installation

Post by richyrich »

apt install mint-meta-xfce

Of course you will need to add the Mint repositories to your software sources.

Edit: You will need to tell us which version of Ubuntu you are using, before we can tell you the correct Mint version repository you will need to add.
dashohoxha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dashohoxha »

Thanks for the answer. I am not familiar with this kind of forum and I had not enabled email notifications, so I did not notice your answer until now.

I am talking about the latest ubuntu, bionic. I followed these steps:
  • Created the file /etc/apt/sources.d/linuxmint.list with this content:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com tara main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  • Created the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-extra-repositories.pref with this content:

Package: *
    Pin: origin build.linuxmint.com
    Pin-Priority: 700

• Created the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-package-repositories.pref with this content:

Pin: origin live.linuxmint.com
    Pin-Priority: 750

Pin: release o=linuxmint,c=upstream
    Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: release o=Ubuntu
    Pin-Priority: 500

• Did an upgrade:

apt-key adv --recv-key A6616109451BBBF2
    apt update
    apt upgrade

• Installed mint-meta-xfce: apt install mint-meta-xfce
However the result still does not look like the normal LinuxMint. For example have a look at this: http://mint.fs.al/?host=mint.fs.al&port=6901 (user1:pass1 or user2:pass2)
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Not sure, but if you installed xubuntu-desktop prior to installing mint-meta-xfce, then xfce may have already written config files and that's going to override the ones from Mint.
Through the link you provided, the Mint wallpaper appears when logged out, but it is overriden when logging in.

Another thing to test is to add --install-recommends and --install-suggests when installing mint-meta-xfce

All that said, I'm not the best person to help. I once tried to install xfce on a Mint Mate box, and got the default xfce appearance as you have, instead on the Mint xfce appearance. I tinkered a lot and finally managed it, but cannot remember how I did. (and in fine I purged everything and went back to Mate..)
dashohoxha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dashohoxha »

Yes, I installed first xubuntu-core and lightdm, and then applied the steps above.
I used these scripts: https://github.com/docker-scripts/desktop
(which is basically this Dockerfile and then the installation of WebVNC ).

Actually I also installed manually xubuntu-desktop and some other packages like xubuntu-extras etc. hoping that it would make any difference, but it did not change anything. By the way, mint-meta-xfce does not have any recommends or suggestions, so this cannot help either.

Maybe it depends on who writes first the Xfce config files, as you said, so I will try to install first mint-meta-xfce and later xubuntu-desktop.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Just install mint-meta-xfce . . do NOT install the xubuntu desktop, as that will overwrite what mint-meta-xfce has already installed.
dashohoxha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dashohoxha »

I tried to follow the suggestions above. The code now looks like this: Dockerfile.

I have noticed that lightdm is required. Also xubuntu-core seems to be required, otherwise nothing will be displayed. Maybe it should be in the list of dependencies of mint-meta-xfce (and maybe xubuntu-desktop should be in the list of suggested or recommended packages).

However there is a problem on user login, which I guess breaks the xfce session and things become messed up:

I found that the file /usr/bin/locale-check is missing from the package base-files (dpkg-query -L base-files)
On Ubuntu it is available only on bionic-updates (not on bionic): base-files (bionic), base-files (bionic-updates).

Should we report an issue about this? Is there any workaround in the meantime?
dashohoxha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dashohoxha »

As a workaround I tried:

# apt list base-files -a
Listing... Done
base-files/tara,now 19.0.1 all [installed]
base-files/bionic-updates 10.1ubuntu2.3 all
base-files/bionic-security 10.1ubuntu2.2 all
base-files/bionic 10.1ubuntu2 all

# apt install base-files/bionic-updates
Now the file /usr/bin/locale-check is there, the error message disappears, but the desktop is not properly configured yet: http://mint.fs.al/?host=mint.fs.al&port=6901
There is still something that is missing.
dashohoxha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dashohoxha »

When I install the packages lightdm-settings and slick-greeter along with lightdm, then display manager works properly and I can login even without installing xubuntu-core. So, I think that these three packages should be dependencies for mint-meta-xfce.

However the desktop is not yet properly configured (for example the panel is on top, the menu style is not ok, etc.).
There is still something missing.

https://github.com/docker-scripts/deskt ... c0150edf18
dashohoxha
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved] Installing LinuxMint Xfce starting from a basic Ubuntu installation

Post by dashohoxha »

The original answer (by richyrich) actually solved this problem: posting.php?mode=reply&f=46&t=277765#pr1527262
The problems that I had subsequently (with desktop not looking properly) were due to the fact that user accounts from previous installations were not erased, so I guess that some configurations were kept.

However the problem reported here still remains: posting.php?mode=reply&f=46&t=277765#pr1532423

Return to “Installation & Boot”