need for more partitions than default?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

need for more partitions than default?

Post by Howard_P »

I need to reinstall Tara. When I do so is there any advantage to creating partitions beyond the ones created by default when using the installer? If so, can you tell me what I ought to do and hopefully why? My computer uses are very simple, and my computer knowledge is minimal. Thanks. -Howard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: need for more partitions than default?

Post by xenopeek »

It doesn't really serve a purpose on its own unless you have a specific need. If you have multiple hard disks obviously. Or if you intend to run a server (though disk quotas should better be used in that case).

One use can be to have a separate /home partition. So that when installing a next major version of Linux Mint (i.e., earliest would be Linux Mint 20 in 2 years) you can just overwrite the partition that has the operating system and keep your /home partition intact. There are basically three ways to upgrade to a next major version of Linux Mint:
  1. Install Linux Mint afresh, overwriting your current installation and all files on it—you would first backup your personal files and list of programs you added yourself and then after finishing the installation restore that backup and reinstall your added programs.
  2. Upgrade Linux Mint in place. This is would forego the need to restore your personal files from a backup or reinstall your added programs. Upgrading in place between minor versions of Linux Mint (from 19 to 19.1 for example) is easy and safe. Upgrading in place between major versions is more complex and involved.
  3. As noted above you could have a separate /home partition so that you can just install Linux Mint and retain your personal files. You would just need to reinstall your added programs.
Generally I would recommend option 1 as the easier method. You can always go for option 2 instead, if you're up to it, and that is superior to option 3 in that you don't have to do anything special before installing or after upgrading.

Personally I see no value in having a separate /home partition except for some specific uses. It's not trivial to do either as you need to set up an EFI boot partition, a root partition and the /home partition and there are specific requirements as to filesystem type and size.

The forums give me a skewed view of this (as people mostly come here when they have problems) but it seems to lead to people being irresponsible with their important personal files and not making backups. So that when something goes wrong (they delete the wrong file or something happens that damages the hard disk unexpectedly) they have truly lost their personal files. If you store files on your computer that are important to you; take regular backups!

Return to “Installation & Boot”