Strange issue after upgrade to 19: desktop and files missing etc

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yymbr

Strange issue after upgrade to 19: desktop and files missing etc

Post by yymbr »

I had linux 18.3 64bit and followed the upgrade instructions. Everything worked fine, no issues. Even restarted and also rebooted my computer as well. This was yesterday. I logged in this morning and got a message something about asking to "update standard folders current language" and asked if i wanted to do so. I don't recall exactly but it said something like it was remapping the folders, but my username is the same as before so it didn't change anything ex: /home/username changed to /home/username. Maybe I should have said no but I assumed it wouldn't do anything, but then all of my desktop icons and everything in my Home folder were gone, and I also couldn't connect to internet (ethernet or wifi).

I then noticed a new "bookmarks" option in the File Manager menu (the place where it lists My Computer, Home, Downloads, etc) and there was a folder called Downloads. It contained everything from my old Home folder. I assume this is something normal that occurs, or had to do with whatever option I changed when I updated to the current language. So i moved everything to my new home folder and it looks like it all works, and then the Internet connected some time after that. The Main Downloads link in the favorites bar was broken, so I removed it. I am assuming that if I would not have said Ok to updating the current language, then none of this would have happened. The only thing I found online was from a Launchpad site with the same issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/209513

So with that being said I have 2 questions: should I assume my issue is fixed and proceed as normal, instead of using Timeshift to restore to before the 19 update? Second, considering I had rebooted and restarted after the upgrade yesterday, why would this issue occur today when I booted up? I know the rule was not to upgrade if I didn't need to, but I had tried out 19 and it worked fine, and it even worked fine after the initial upgrade yesterday. I am leaning towards using Timeshift to restore just to be safe that nothing else in my system is missing that I am unaware of (like settings, or programs not installed through Synaptic, etc).

Also, I have only ever upgraded Mint using Synaptic so never had any issues. I am thinking that this "issue" of updating the folders and creating an empty home and desktop is supposed to be "normal" if you ever upgrade Mint manually, but I am not sure. Any info would be appreciated. My Timeshift was done right before the upgrade, so I will continue to proceed as normal unless I notice something seriously wrong or missing, or if this issue starts happening every time I try and log in the next day. Thanks so much, let me know any solutions!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yymbr

Re: Strange issue after upgrade to 19: desktop and files missing etc

Post by yymbr »

Yeah I think I did speak too soon and this definitely has something to do with the option I chose to update standard folders to current language. It now seems that some programs don't work, or ones that do are acting as if I have never used them before (like showing welcome screens and tool tips etc). And also, my Favorite links are all now broken, and the Home and Desktop folders are empty again, with my old content being saved in the Bookmarks/Download folder. Any ideas how to reverse this option? Unfortunately I did not use Timeshift after the upgrade, so if I went back it would be before the 19 upgrade. I don't feel that a rollback is necessary as everything seems to be working outside of this remapping issue and the internet issue, and a few programs behaving strangely. Any ideas?
yymbr

Post by yymbr »

So decided to restore with Timeshift. I am wondering about trying to upgrade again and not select the folders option. Wondering if anyone has any ideas yet... thanks.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

First, backup your important files with another program. Timeshift can do it, but by default is not set to backup user files.

Do you have a separate partition for your /home?
yymbr

Post by yymbr »

I dont have a separate partition I dont think... Do you have an idea if there is any kind of Linux version of Richcopy/Robocoy for backing up files? I tried Mint's Backup tool and didn't seem to have any luck with this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”