Boot not bringing up Grub Menu - again :(

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Boot not bringing up Grub Menu - again :(

Post by AZgl1800 »

ASUS TP500L laptop
Host: john-TP500LA Kernel: 4.15.0-33-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

# BIOS does not have anything different settings than what it has always been.
Checked it out first.

at power ON, about 1/3rd of the BIOS logo displays and that is where it all stops.

# ESC will bring up the Boot choices in BIOS, and selecting the SSD brings up Grub,
# likewise, going to the BIOS "Boot Over-ride" menu and selecting the SSD brings up Grub.
in both cases, Grub does what it is supposed to, it brings up 18.3 Cinnamon.

This all occurred AFTER I messed with trying different kernels to get away from the USB AutoSuspend problem in 18.3 Cinnamon. the 1st kernel I tried was 4.4.x latest version. after the install, the laptop refused to boot.

So, got into the Grub menu, and selected the prior running kernel 4.15.0-33-generic
and then brought up Update Manager and removed the offending 4.4.x kernel

and that is when the fun all started. The laptop now will not progress past the broken BIOS logo screen.

I am now in 4.15.0-33-generic version, and did sudo update-grub to try and fix the problem.
that displayed all of the appropriate versions of Linux that I have installed....

but, it did not resolve the broken Power ON and boot up Linux

Unfortunately, this is outside the realm of being able to use Timeshift and put things back like they were.
I tried that just for rote, and it didn't change the boot up process... ( didn't see how it could anyway, BWTH )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lord Boltar

Re: Boot not bringing up Grub Menu

Post by Lord Boltar »

On startup hold down the shift key and see if the grub menu loads you can the select advanced options

might want to take a look at Boot-Repair tool

If you're struggling to fix Grub issues by hand, or there's no sign of Grub on your system at all, then you'll need to enlist the services of your rescue media and the Boot-Repair tool, which works with all Debian-based distros, including Ubuntu.

The Boot-Repair tool itself will launch automatically when you boot from a Boot-Repair tool disc, but if you're unable to create it, but have access to a Linux installation disc, use that in a live environment instead, then grab the Boot-Repair tool using the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install boot-repair

The Boot-Repair tool is focused on those early boot problems caused by the hard drive's boot sector, MBR and Grub. It basically provides a convenient and user-friendly graphical front-end to the tools required to fix many problems.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Boot not bringing up Grub Menu

Post by AZgl1800 »

I had wondered about Boot-Repair tool, but had never used it before.

It worked like a charm, and all is back to normal again.

Many thanks for the suggestion.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Boot not bringing up Grub Menu [ solved ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

OKAY,

I have had to use Boot Repair Tools twice today.

this last time because the USB mouse got "lost" and I could not get to anything I wanted, could not type anything, was forced to shut down, and try to reboot to see what would happen.

I used the kybd to access the main menu, then shutdown, and 'shut it down'

the next thing I see is this

I wait until it finally after a very long time, powers down.

then rebooted, and nothing.... the Grub Menu does not come up for me as I have always had it do, because I dual boot between 18.3 and LMDE3.

the main BIOS LOGO displays and nothing else, will not find Grub and boot up.
So, I use F2 to get to access BIOS and use Boot Over-ride to access the SSD

then I see the normal Grub menu and all is well.... until I shut it down again, and no Grub menu.

so, I used Boot Repair Tools a 2nd time, and it works just fine again. and all is well until the USB AutoSuspend activates and ruins my day.

I have quit using the Wireless USB mouse, it is not even detected anymore, I am having to use an old corded USB mouse.... it seems to work fine, and so far.... knock knock, it has not gone into suspended mode.

why is that? USB ought to be USB, right?

why will the corded USB mouse not go into Auto-Suspend and the wireless version does?
DAMIEN1307

Re: Boot not bringing up Grub Menu - again :(

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi azg...just a shot in the dark here but is it possible that other things close by to the wireless usb fob is throwing out RF and could be interfering with the RF signal to the wireless mouse...of course the direct wired one would be immune...just another insane thought here...lol...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 am hi azg...just a shot in the dark here but is it possible that other things close by to the wireless usb fob is throwing out RF and could be interfering with the RF signal to the wireless mouse...of course the direct wired one would be immune...just another insane thought here...lol...DAMIEN
I also wondered about that. My daily forum location is the living room in a recliner.
The nearest other device is my daughter's Acer laptop about 5 feet away.
The next nearest is the Samsung Smart TV which uses the WiFi to connect to the internet.

TV remotes, are they Bluetooth? but they are only activated to control channels/menus/volume

I'm at a loss to explain the why here.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

I was wondering if you disable USB autosuspend if that would correct your issue - your usb wired mouse does not use a battery your wireless does autosuspend engages after a few seconds of inactivity

Might want to have a look here

https://askubuntu.com/questions/80638/h ... use#301416
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Well,
since I started using the corded mouse, the Grub menu is showing and the PC is booting as it should.
and, it seems that the corded mouse is not being suspended from working.

I followed up on the link above and then more links and found an old tool called PowerTOP.
was a bit irked when it uninstalled TLP and the mouse quit working period.

But, the keyboard continued to function, so I messed around using TAB to get to different functions,
and found this page:

and scrolled down to the mouse line, then I hit enter and it toggled Suspend to OFF, I presume, as it now says 'BAD'

anyway, when that happened, the mouse started working again.

I am a bit reticent to try and unplug the corded mouse and plug in the Wireless mouse, as the last two times I have pulled the corded mouse out, it screws up something really bad, and when shutdown is initiated, it shows a bunch of USB errors.

then the next bootup is broken, Grub menu is not accessed.
I have to access BIOS and navigate to the Boot Over-ride to get to the SSD, which then brings up Grub menu again, and then the OS boots up. Somehow, that fixes the Grub menu, as the next boot works okay.

I'm going to do a normal shutdown, and plug in the Wireless mouse and see if it works...
uh, right after I take the wireless mouse and see if it works on the Win7 pc.
that turned out BAD, the wireless mouse no longer works, tried it on the Win7 desktop, and a 2nd laptop.

that is a bummer. so, pulling a USB fob out while the PC is turned ON, is now on my "no no" list.
this is the 2nd LogiTech M510 wireless mouse that has gone bad on me in the last two months.

Couple this with accidently unplugging a USB ISO install fob a few months back, it destroyed the FOB and also the USB-2 ports on this laptop. I have since found a new USB-2 ports module and need to take the laptop apart and hopefully that will restore my USB-2 ports...
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

Oh man that really sux good luck and I hope it all works out in the end

Return to “Installation & Boot”