Slow Boot on Mint 19 Tara Mate 64Bit Version [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OutFitKid26

Slow Boot on Mint 19 Tara Mate 64Bit Version [SOLVED]

Post by OutFitKid26 »

Hello! sorry for bad english :D im running dual Boot Windows 7 + Mint 19 Mate
everytime i boot onto mint it takes 4-5 minutes that's too long for a mint to boot.. i'm trying to find what's happened on my boot that takes too long so i run "dmesg" and found out that i got lots of error on my boot process.. (hmm.. i cant copy and paste all cause its too long so i just give the error) :)
the error looks like "[ 12.252104] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_flip_done [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:34:pipe A] flip_done timed out"
or the others error "[drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:41:pipe B] flip_done timed out
[ 221.404225] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [PLANE:35:plane B] flip_done timed out
[ 231.644324] [drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_flip_done [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:41:pipe B] flip_done timed out
"
the error is just about that drm atomic bla bla bla in many times that maybe causing my boot takes long time..
any help for this newbie woould be appreciated :?

*edit oh ya i forget to describe my specs
Intel core 2 Duo T5870 2.00 GHz
RAM 2GB DDR2
HDD 320GB 7200RPM
intel GMA X3100
is it a problem for my old notebook? :roll: cause i see that many users got 2GB RAM notebook running mint 19 mate normally..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ieee488
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Slow Boot on Mint 19 Tara Mate 64Bit Version

Post by ieee488 »

You have the same problem as I had.

It is a bug.

Solution: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1685442

OutFitKid26

Post by OutFitKid26 »

ieee488 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:30 pm You have the same problem as I had.
It is a bug.

hmm.. sorry if this is a bad questions cause im very Green here.. :D :lol:
from that link i can conclude that they're disabling svideo connectors to fix it.. but how and where to disable it? from terminal? :?
btw did upgrading kernels from update manager will fix this bug or even its a waste?
ieee488
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ieee488 »

OutFitKid26 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:26 am
ieee488 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:30 pm You have the same problem as I had.
It is a bug.

hmm.. sorry if this is a bad questions cause im very Green here.. :D :lol:
from that link i can conclude that they're disabling svideo connectors to fix it.. but how and where to disable it? from terminal? :?
btw did upgrading kernels from update manager will fix this bug or even its a waste?
Try it first by adding as boot option to Grub. Google this if you don't know how.

If the option works, then you add video=SVIDEO-1:d permanently to Grub. Google this if you don't know how.

Upgrading kernels did not help me.
And it only helped me when booting live USB.
Installed Linux Mint boots just as slow.

I also tried clean install of Linux Mint 18.3 and it is just as slow.
I don't know what is the problem with the X3100 video chip.

OutFitKid26

Post by OutFitKid26 »

ieee488 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:30 pm Try it first by adding as boot option to Grub. Google this if you don't know how.
If the option works, then you add video=SVIDEO-1:d permanently to Grub. Google this if you don't know how.

Upgrading kernels did not help me.
And it only helped me when booting live USB.
Installed Linux Mint boots just as slow.

I also tried clean install of Linux Mint 18.3 and it is just as slow.
I don't know what is the problem with the X3100 video chip.
what things that i need to add to the boot option? i'm sorry did you mean that i need to get into grub option and choose "advanced options for linux mint bla bla"?
and where to add " video=SVIDEO-1:d" ? is it on kernel command line? if yes where can i find it? oh, how Green am i :shock:
oookay i will avoid upgrading kernel for now.. hehe thank you :)
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

OutFitKid26 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:19 am ............................
...open a terminal, & follow those steps here...=> viewtopic.php?p=1529496#p1529496
OutFitKid26

Post by OutFitKid26 »

thx-1138 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:27 am ...open a terminal, & follow those steps here...=> viewtopic.php?p=1529496#p1529496
i simply follow the steps by copy-paste the command and add "SVIDEO1:d" into the Linux-GRUB-CMD-Default Bar and do sudo update-grub as what mentioned on the link.. well, the error still appear "[drm:drm_atomic_helper_wait_for_dependencies [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:41:pipe B] flip_done timed" (ya.. same as what i mentioned before)
hmm.. will it fixed my problems if i try to add it from the grub as what "iiee" mentioned before? but i dont know how and what to do about that :D
thank you brother :lol:
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...post the output from: cat /proc/cmdline
(that is, to verify the parameter was added correctly), & also
inxi -Fxz (that is for people to know your hardware configuration & be able to make educated guesses)
OutFitKid26

Post by OutFitKid26 »

thx-1138 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 am ...post the output from: cat /proc/cmdline
(that is, to verify the parameter was added correctly), & also
inxi -Fxz (that is for people to know your hardware configuration & be able to make educated guesses)
its fixed! actually its not "video=SVideo1:d Quiet Spalsh" but the correct one is "Quiet Splash video=SVideo1:d" then i checked dmesg and Voila! no more error message :lol:
thank you for patiently help this Extremely New at Linux.. i asked another forum without any worked solution before.. :o
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...glad to have been of help - and welcome to Mint btw. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”