Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
xyzzs
Level 1
Level 1

Low resolution boot after upgrade to 4k

Post by xyzzs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:54 am

I've been using Linux Mint for a few months now and have just upgraded to a 43 inch 4k monitor. The screen looks great at 100 dpi scaling inside the O/S but when I first boot the Linux Mint logo and password prompt are very low resolution. I was able to fix this same issue when I first installed Linux by

typing "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" in the terminal then adding my resolution after GRUB_GFXMODE=
adding "set gfxpayload=keep" to /etc/grub.d/00_header below gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
running "sudo apdate-grub" in the terminal.

This corrected the boot resolution for my 32 inch 2560x1600 monitor but doesn't seem to work for my new 3840x2160 display.

I'm not sure if this is related but the screen resolution and refresh rate are also being reset from what I select and back to auto in nVidia X Server setting after each reboot. https://imgur.com/a/yk0oWG5

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nkoropoff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Low resolution boot after upgrade to 4k

Post by nkoropoff » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 pm

You need to check the specifications of your new display to see what port supports what resolution at what frequency. You also need to know the same thing for your graphics card. I ran into this with an earlier 4k display where 3840 x 2160 was only supported on the HDMI port at 30 Hz and a lower resolution at 60 Hz on the Displayport. You may be experiencing the same thing with your setup.

Return to “Installation & Boot”