Boots Fine with Live USB (LM 19), But Not After Install - AMD Graphics

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redrockts

Boots Fine with Live USB (LM 19), But Not After Install - AMD Graphics

Post by redrockts »

I have spent many hours trying to resolve this problem: I am able to boot Linux Mint 19 from the Live USB, with full graphics capability. I am not able to boot from the hard disk after the fresh install from the USB. The system resets on boot, and tries again. I immediately recognized I have AMD integrated graphics (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8470D]) and likely have the common boot problem.

I have gone through most of the solutions, and then some, with no luck. Many of the recommended solutions end with "...add nomodeset to grub" which I have done to get the system out of the boot loop. Unfortunately, this gets me into the system with low resolution graphics and no system acceleration. The systems works... but slowly. Here are things I have tried:

1. Followed the directions in "Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards." These instructions are years old, and do not cover Linux Mint 19. Also, at least half of the solutions are for NVIDIA graphics, which do not apply to me.
2. Added radeon.modeset=0 to grub: Same result as nomodeset
3. Added radeon.modeset=1 to grub: Same boot loop
4. Manually try to set graphics mode with GRUB_GFXMODE in grub: No effect

This is particularly frustrating since the graphics work fine with the Live USB. Can anybody explain how Linux Mint boots differently between the Live USB and the installed version as it relates to graphics cards and drivers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Boots Fine with Live USB (LM 19), But Not After Install - AMD Graphics

Post by Laurent85 »

If you remove "quiet splash" from the kernel boot options line can you see some error messages ?
redrockts

Re: Boots Fine with Live USB (LM 19), But Not After Install - AMD Graphics

Post by redrockts »

@Laurent85: I appreciate the quick response!

The messages scroll by quick, but I was able to capture the last few lines:
piix4_smbus 0000:00:14.0: SMBus Host Controller at 0xb00, revision 0
piix4_smbus 0000:00:14.0: Using register 0x2e for SMBus port selection
piix4_smbus 0000:00:14.0: Auxiliary SMBus Host Controller at 0xb20
[drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
fb: switching to radeondrmfb from EFI VGA
The screen then goes blank and immediately reboots.

Return to “Installation & Boot”