New Mint 19 install with ssd and two hdd

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
osovolant

New Mint 19 install with ssd and two hdd

Post by osovolant »

Thank you all so much for the many times you have helped in the past. I've been using Mint for years and have updated to new PC. I never remember having a problem like this with 18.3 but it's a new system and I'm not ashamed to ask for help.

System is as follows: HP desktop, 16 GB ram, 256 GB M.2 ssd, 1 TB hdd and 2 TB hdd. The computer shipped with no M.2 memory, the 1 TB drive with windows 10 pre-installed. I wanted to preserve windows, so I bought another 1 TB hdd to replace the pre-installed one.

At first I installed the ssd ( with Mint 19) with the 2TB drive not using LVM. It named the ssd as /dev/mvne0n1p with no partitions, with dev/sda and dev/sdb (also unpartioned). It functions but I hate to keep using it like this. 2 TB hdd has to be remounted on every boot. So here's the question. If I reinstall mint with LVM option box ticked, will it recognize, format and partition all the drives? Or will I have to gParted it to death? I've used LVM successfully on single disks. So many other installs have gone almost automatically, I don't know why this is so different.

At any rate, thank you in advance from a first timer. The simpler the better for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: New Mint 19 install with ssd and two hdd

Post by catweazel »

osovolant wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:10 am Thank you all so much for the many times you have helped in the past. I've been using Mint for years and have updated to new PC. I never remember having a problem like this with 18.3 but it's a new system and I'm not ashamed to ask for help.

System is as follows: HP desktop, 16 GB ram, 256 GB M.2 ssd, 1 TB hdd and 2 TB hdd. The computer shipped with no M.2 memory, the 1 TB drive with windows 10 pre-installed. I wanted to preserve windows, so I bought another 1 TB hdd to replace the pre-installed one.

At first I installed the ssd ( with Mint 19) with the 2TB drive not using LVM. It named the ssd as /dev/mvne0n1p with no partitions, with dev/sda and dev/sdb (also unpartioned). It functions but I hate to keep using it like this. 2 TB hdd has to be remounted on every boot. So here's the question. If I reinstall mint with LVM option box ticked, will it recognize, format and partition all the drives? Or will I have to gParted it to death? I've used LVM successfully on single disks. So many other installs have gone almost automatically, I don't know why this is so different.

At any rate, thank you in advance from a first timer. The simpler the better for me.
If I read that right, your only problem is that "2 TB hdd has to be remounted on every boot". Is that correct?

Anyway, you can LVM the 2TB and 1TB HDDs if you wish, but don't include the NVMe (M.2) device.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
osovolant

Post by osovolant »

Do I install LM19 to the M.2 or a hard drive?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

You can do how you choose but I would stick Mint on the SSD. Don't use LVM if GPT is an option.
osovolant

Post by osovolant »

MintBean wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:37 pm You can do how you choose but I would stick Mint on the SSD. Don't use LVM if GPT is an option.
I just read "GUID Partition Table" in Wikipedia and I don't even understand. So let's say I install 19 on ssd, will LVM format and partition the other drives? Does the ssd need partitions? Also, can I just format the hdd (that has the windows pre-installed) and just nuke it or will it leave it's nasty windows tentacles all over that drive?
osovolant

Post by osovolant »

I put it on SSD, it works great. Thanks everyone!

Return to “Installation & Boot”