Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
terrygv
Level 1
Level 1

/home on a separate drive

Post by terrygv » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:11 pm

Is it possible to install the root system "/ " on a flash drive & use the whole hard drive as the /home partition? At system install or after the fact.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: /home on a separate drive

Post by MintBean » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:54 pm

You can, someone else will be able to advise; however let me offer an alternative - do a standard install to your flash drive, and use the second disc as your data disc, containing all your data directories (movies, music, documents etc.) then replace those directories on your ssd with links to the data drive.

This is what I do and it works well. Also, it's easy to transfer my data to a new install.

terrygv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by terrygv » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:02 pm

I want the /home partition to be on a separate drive not on the thumb drive

bbuske
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bbuske » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Hello,

you can probably archive that by having a capable thumb drive connected to the computer while running the installer. You would then have to use the professional partitioner and set your root, swap, and efi folders to the pen drive. This means you would have to assign them space there, etc. Then you would have to format the hard drive, make one big partition and assign it to your /home directory.

This is actually an interesting Idea you have there. You need a decent pen drive... 64GB would be recommended I think, so that you have some space for your installation to grow... but yes, it is an interesting idea indeed.

Cheers

Return to “Installation & Boot”