Cant install linux mint 19 or any other distribution on old computer without uefi

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rocrastinator

Cant install linux mint 19 or any other distribution on old computer without uefi

Post by Rocrastinator »

I am able to boot into the live menu where you can select the boot option like install linux mint or perform disk check, but As soon as I select install linux option, I am stuck on display mismatch error where I have blank screen which has blinking cursor on top left corner, I have tried nomodeset, and also tried nomodeset with other distribution called Lubuntu, both times Im stuck on same screen.please help,
My computer is very old dates back to 2007 and I have used ubuntu on it in past few years now I only have windows on it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Cant install linux mint 19 or any other distribution on old computer without uefi

Post by michael louwe »

Rocrastinator wrote:.
What is the computer brand and model.? Or provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.
Rocrastinator

Re: Cant install linux mint 19 or any other distribution on old computer without uefi

Post by Rocrastinator »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:55 am
What is the computer brand and model.? Or provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.
Computer is Intel core 2 duo, 32 bit and I can't get into terminal mode, I can just get on the menu where pressing tab allows you to boot with different parameters like nomodeset but after that also it don't boot further.only very first screen with options like try linux mint, install linux mint, boot from primary hard disk appears @michael louwe
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Maybe, the old 2007 computer should stay on LM 18.3 or 17.3.

When EOL for LM 18.3 comes along in April 2021, move to the less heavyweight Linux Lite or MX-17.
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:01 am

When EOL for LM 18.3 comes along in April 2021, move to the less heavyweight Linux Lite or MX-17.
If that's the case atleast lubuntu 18 should have worked which was designed for older computer
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Rocrastinator wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 am If that's the case atleast lubuntu 18 should have worked which was designed for older computer
No. xUbuntu 18 is the same base as Mint 19.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Can you provide some details about your hardware (i.e. computer brand and model, exact micro, BIOS maker and version. RAM installed,..)? You will find all those getting into BIOS. Are system time and date correct?

You did not say which Live media are you trying (USB or DVD) and the way you created it (another computer, tool..), neither if you tried compatibility option in GRUB menu or discard media (intregrity check) and RAM problems (memory test). :roll:

PD: i think an intel core 2 32 bits would work with LM 19 XFCE 32 bits if there is no hardware problems and enough RAM.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

If the computer is 32 bit are you sure you're using the 32bit distro and not the 64bit?
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

JOPETA wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:35 am Can you provide some details about your hardware (i.e. computer brand and model, exact micro, BIOS maker and version. RAM installed,..)? You will find all those getting into BIOS. Are system time and date correct?

You did not say which Live media are you trying (USB or DVD) and the way you created it (another computer, tool..), neither if you tried compatibility option in GRUB menu or discard media (intregrity check) and RAM problems (memory test). :roll:

PD: i think an intel core 2 32 bits would work with LM 19 XFCE 32 bits if there is no hardware problems and enough RAM.
Im using USB for booting.
Ram is 1GB DDR2
Date and time is correct in bios.
In bios setup menu it says,Pheonix award bios cmos setup utility.
MPS version control 1.4
I tried compabililty option too same thing happened, blinking cursor on top left corner,I downloaded mint 17.3, still no luck and same problem persists
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

Same thing happened with mint 17.3 too, I'm not sure what's the problem? Should I change USB stick?
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

sgtor wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:28 am If the computer is 32 bit are you sure you're using the 32bit distro and not the 64bit?
Yes I am positive that ditro are downloaded are 32 bit.
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

After using nomdeset with 17.3 it stucks on loading/ casper/initrd.lz...........ready
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

Also I tried unetbootin frugal install out of desperation but my keyboard won't work in bios
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

We can't really help without knowing more about your hardware, so download some console only Linux based boot disk like Trinity and boot up with that and run.

Code: Select all

lspci | grep vga
Then we'll at least know what your video card is. I'm not sure if that disk has inxi but try that too and all the better if it does. If not run

lscpu
You could run lshw but that's a lot of text to paste so put it into a code box by clicking </>
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Rocrastinator wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:58 am
Computer is Intel core 2 duo, 32 bit and I can't get into terminal mode, I can just get on the menu where pressing tab allows you to boot with different parameters like nomodeset but after that also it don't boot further.only very first screen with options like try linux mint, install linux mint, boot from primary hard disk appears @michael louwe
For knowing that mysterious computer, boot into Windows and run msinfo32 and tell the results.
https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/m/msinfo32.htm
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

finally I managed to boot by downloading ubuntu, after running

inxi -Fxz
i got this response.

System:    Host: rohan-pc Kernel: 4.4.0-135-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.4) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   Mobo: N/A model: LakePort Bios: Phoenix version: 6.00 PG date: 08/04/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 8799.84 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.8hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k4.4.0-135-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139too ver: 0.9.28 port: ee00 bus-ID: 02:04.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (5.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3160215A size: 160.0GB temp: 37C 
Partition: ID: / size: 30G used: 7.8G (28%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.05GB used: 0.16GB (8%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 175 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 544.1/992.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
After running

sudo parted -l
I got this response.

Model: ATA ST3160215A (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB   105MB   primary   ntfs            boot
 2      106MB   19.9GB  19.8GB  primary   ntfs
 3      19.9GB  31.5GB  11.5GB  primary   ntfs
 4      31.5GB  160GB   129GB   extended                  lba
 5      31.5GB  62.9GB  31.5GB  logical   ntfs
 6      62.9GB  94.4GB  31.5GB  logical   ntfs
 7      94.4GB  126GB   31.5GB  logical   ntfs
 8      126GB   128GB   2048MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
 9      128GB   160GB   32.2GB  logical   ext4
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

Ubuntu installation had problem similar to this when I tried using poweriso it wont go past blinking cursor, So I used Unetbootin and voila, managed to install ubuntu successfully, same unetbootin process didnt work with linux mint 17.3 or 19 though.
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

sgtor wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:30 pm

You could run lshw but that's a lot of text to paste so put it into a code box by clicking </>
heres what I got

Architecture:          i686
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                2
On-line CPU(s) list:   0,1
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    2
Socket(s):             1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 15
Stepping:              13
CPU MHz:               2200.000
BogoMIPS:              4399.92
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              2048K
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

It looks like your video card is integrated:
Graphics: Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
I don't know anything about that one so you should start googling that card against compatibility issues with Ubuntu and or Linux Mint. I don't actually know much about these compatibility issues since I haven't run into one since the old days of slackware version 1, and even then it was very minor mouse driver problems. I haven't had that problem since then, even on very old computers.

You do say that you've managed to get it running though so if I were you I would be running diagnostics to determine if your hardware issues are compatibility issues or bad hardware issues. That trinity boot disk I suggested would have all that and btw if trinity won't boot either you can be pretty sure it's a bad hardware issue. The reason being it's console only and I'm pretty sure it just uses all the common VESA drivers that would work with all cards.

Edit:
BTW This one might be easier than trinity http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Rocrastinator

Post by Rocrastinator »

sgtor wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:01 am It looks like your video card is integrated:
Graphics: Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
I don't know anything about that one so you should start googling that card against compatibility issues with Ubuntu and or Linux Mint. I don't actually know much about these compatibility issues since I haven't run into one since the old days of slackware version 1, and even then it was very minor mouse driver problems. I haven't had that problem since then, even on very old computers.

You do say that you've managed to get it running though so if I were you I would be running diagnostics to determine if your hardware issues are compatibility issues or bad hardware issues. That trinity boot disk I suggested would have all that and btw if trinity won't boot either you can be pretty sure it's a bad hardware issue. The reason being it's console only and I'm pretty sure it just uses all the common VESA drivers that would work with all cards.

Edit:
BTW This one might be easier than trinity http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
So I downloaded Trinity ,burned on usb and set boot priority of usb high in BIOS, but now live boot menu don't appear instead I get grub menu and it asks me to choose from ubuntu or windows, how to bypass grub so I can boot from USB again?

Return to “Installation & Boot”