Mint 19 'Sleep Lock' problem and Emergency Mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SnowblindOtter

Mint 19 'Sleep Lock' problem and Emergency Mode

Post by SnowblindOtter »

I recently(About 2 months ago) installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon to upgrade from 17.3 Cinnamon due to my system booting into a BASH Error and what I'm probably sure is a kernel panic induced by data corruption. I'm not a computer whiz, so I dunno, just my best guess. I've been pretty happy, but I have been having some issues with it periodically.

Randomly when my computer's screen goes dark so that it can 'sleep' automatically, it locks up completely in a 'Limbo' state and simply will not come back on. I've tried entering my password. Ultimately the only solution I've found is to force-quit my laptop by holding down the power button until I hear the fan spin down. After that, I turn my system on and occasionally it boots straight into Emergency Mode, which frankly isn't surprising given that obviously holding down the power button doesn't let fs exit and unmount /home properly at all. My fix for this is, whenever I boot into Emergency Mode I
  • force-quit my laptop again
  • stick the LiveUSB in
  • boot from that
  • run fsck -y /dev/sda#.
It runs through the check/repair sequence, tells me everything is fine, I reboot, and Linux starts normally until the next time my laptop goes into it's little coma. Periodically, however(like this morning before I posted this), I noticed that after running fsck the previous night to fix the problem, it booted into emergency mode anyway and I was forced to:
  • Boot into recovery mode
  • Set the system to Read/Write(was in Read Only somehow)
  • Run fsck through Recovery
  • Boot into the recovery session
  • Shut down properly
  • Boot my computer into the LiveUSB
  • Run fsck through the Live environment, and finally
  • Restart without using commands
And then it finally worked and I was able to boot into my session normally, with an extra twist to it flashing at the top left corner during start-up.

Usually it says something about a login prompt, then does a disk check(which is normal, Mint 19 has done that since I installed it.), then lets me log in. This time, however, it says that it's, quote, "Unable to get size". It doesn't last long enough for me to get the number that's after it, but it doesn't throw any other error and boots fine.

I've looked around, and I haven't exactly seen anyone else describing the same issue, so I figured I might say something just on the off-chance there's other people having the same issue and wanting something to try and stop this from happening. And before anyone asks, yes. I've already backed up everything important on my laptop this time so that I don't have to panic about losing any data again, and no my hard drive isn't full. I have I think over 300GB to use for my /home partition and I have trouble filling 50GB with stuff honestly. Right now it's more of an inconvenience kind of like when you misplace something in a drawer packed too full of crap and have to dump it all out and clean up the mess when you find it. I know if it does it before I go to work I can always fix it when I get home, and it'll work fine, but I'd honestly love to tell Linux to stop throwing a temper tantrum because it's really annoying. I know it can handle being on for extended periods, too, because I accidentally left my computer on all day while I was at work and it let me log in no problem, and didn't have any problem shutting down or booting after that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”