Grub rescue always after shutdown

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Linux Mint Mate 19, all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart or continues trying it, I restart and everything works smooth, but if I shutdown the PC it always stuck on "grub rescue", I tried it with Mint 19 and 18.3 and the problem is the same.

I trying to install it on a i5 with 8GB ram, on a 1TB Seagate HD.

Primary
250MB /BOOT

Logical
50GB /
800GB /HOME
8GB SWAP

Any tip to solve this problem?
Last edited by flipe on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5484
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by administrollaattori » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am

Do not use separate /boot partition. Copy boot folder into /, and comment out (#) UUID ... /boot line in the /etc/fstab file.

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:24 pm

administrollaattori wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am
Do not use separate /boot partition. Copy boot folder into /, and comment out (#) UUID ... /boot line in the /etc/fstab file.
I will format it again without "/boot" partition.

Thank you.

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5484
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by administrollaattori » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:36 pm

flipe wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:24 pm
administrollaattori wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am
Do not use separate /boot partition. Copy boot folder into /, and comment out (#) UUID ... /boot line in the /etc/fstab file.
I will format it again without "/boot" partition.

Thank you.
No need to format, just copy and uncomment. :wink:

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: [SOLVED] Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you, copy the /boot to / and comment /boot line on the /etc/fstab works for me.

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Sorry for reopen the topic, but I tried to copy /boot to / but it works just one time, on the next shutdown the problem persists, I format it without /boot but the problem is the same, if I restart the PC it boots normally, but if I shutdown it, the PC always stucks on grub rescue.

I have a 1TB HD with the system (50GB to /, 900GB to /home and 8GB to swap that is extedend parition) and a 3TB with some data, running ls on grub rescue it just don`t find the file system on he 1TB 3 paritions, but it find it on the 3TB that is just a data HD, without Linux installed.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7756
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by catweazel » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

flipe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm
I format it without /boot but the problem is the same
Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.

The information will help someone who can diagnose the issue.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5484
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by administrollaattori » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 pm

flipe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm
I have a 1TB HD with the system (50GB to /, 900GB to /home and 8GB to swap that is extedend parition) and a 3TB with some data, running ls on grub rescue it just don`t find the file system on he 1TB 3 paritions, but it find it on the 3TB that is just a data HD, without Linux installed.
That sounds some connection error in cables. Unplug the 3TB HD and see what happens. An another issue for Grub rescue can be symbolic links in the / partition, so remove them.

Code: Select all

cd /
sudo unlink initrd.img
sudo unlink vmlinuz

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:51 pm

catweazel wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm
flipe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm
I format it without /boot but the problem is the same
Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.

The information will help someone who can diagnose the issue.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P7P55D DELUXE v: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: 2101 date: 09/28/2012
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5 750 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 21398
           clock speeds: max: 2668 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1333 MHz 3: 2267 MHz 4: 1333 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Barts PRO [Radeon HD 6850] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-38-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Barts HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6800 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus-ID: 06:04.0
           IF: enp6s4 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4032.8GB (0.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB temp: 26C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Edge size: 32.0GB temp: 71C
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: ST3000DM008 size: 3000.6GB temp: 27C
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 29.0C gpu: 45.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2008 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0
Info:      Processes: 179 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 672.5/7977.5MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 pm

administrollaattori wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 pm
flipe wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm
I have a 1TB HD with the system (50GB to /, 900GB to /home and 8GB to swap that is extedend parition) and a 3TB with some data, running ls on grub rescue it just don`t find the file system on he 1TB 3 paritions, but it find it on the 3TB that is just a data HD, without Linux installed.
That sounds some connection error in cables. Unplug the 3TB HD and see what happens. An another issue for Grub rescue can be symbolic links in the / partition, so remove them.

Code: Select all

cd /
sudo unlink initrd.img
sudo unlink vmlinuz
I unlinked both (mouting /dev/sda1 on /mnt), it goes on restart but if I shutdown the PC it stuck on grub rescue.

Unpluged the 3TB HD, same behaviour.

User avatar
administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5484
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:51 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by administrollaattori » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:14 pm

flipe wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am
I'm trying to install Linux Mint Mate 19, all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart or continues trying it, I restart and everything works smooth, but if I shutdown the PC it always stuck on "grub rescue",
It sounds curious that shutdown gives "grub rescue". You could try "pci=nomsi" or "pci=noaer" options in the /etc/default/grub's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line.

Code: Select all

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
After editing update grub and reboot.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

administrollaattori wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:14 pm
flipe wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am
I'm trying to install Linux Mint Mate 19, all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart or continues trying it, I restart and everything works smooth, but if I shutdown the PC it always stuck on "grub rescue",
It sounds curious that shutdown gives "grub rescue". You could try "pci=nomsi" or "pci=noaer" options in the /etc/default/grub's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line.

Code: Select all

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
After editing update grub and reboot.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
It returns that: grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `aufs'

I tried grub-install on /dev/sda but persists the error, I just can use the Live Mint, never the system.

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by jglen490 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm

What is the USB drive that shows as

Code: Select all

ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Edge size: 32.0GB
in the inxi query?
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm
What is the USB drive that shows as

Code: Select all

ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Edge size: 32.0GB
in the inxi query?
There is the Linux Mint to install.

I believe the problem could be the HD, I tried Hiren's Boot on it and running and HD health status program, It returns the HD has just 31MB, what I can't understand is why it runs normal during the install process, but not find GRUB after the shutdown, I tried Ubuntu today and I has the same behaviour!

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by jglen490 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 pm

flipe wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm
jglen490 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm
What is the USB drive that shows as

Code: Select all

ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Edge size: 32.0GB
in the inxi query?
There is the Linux Mint to install.

I believe the problem could be the HD, I tried Hiren's Boot on it and running and HD health status program, It returns the HD has just 31MB, what I can't understand is why it runs normal during the install process, but not find GRUB after the shutdown, I tried Ubuntu today and I has the same behaviour!
Once you have installed Mint, you should remove the install USB. Before trying anything else, remove the USB drive and shutdown/restart the computer. I say that because in your first sentence in your original post you say
all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart
.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:02 pm

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 pm
flipe wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm
jglen490 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm
What is the USB drive that shows as

Code: Select all

ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Edge size: 32.0GB
in the inxi query?
There is the Linux Mint to install.

I believe the problem could be the HD, I tried Hiren's Boot on it and running and HD health status program, It returns the HD has just 31MB, what I can't understand is why it runs normal during the install process, but not find GRUB after the shutdown, I tried Ubuntu today and I has the same behaviour!
Once you have installed Mint, you should remove the install USB. Before trying anything else, remove the USB drive and shutdown/restart the computer. I say that because in your first sentence in your original post you say
all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart
.
Another strange behaviour, If i goes to Live and just restart, it boots, I asking you now from the system on HD!

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by jglen490 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 pm

We need to know if your Mint install on your hard drive was successful. If there are problems when trying to boot from the hard drive, then we can figure out how to fix it. But, if there are no problems when booting from the hard drive, then you are good.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

flipe
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:22 am

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:27 pm

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 pm
We need to know if your Mint install on your hard drive was successful. If there are problems when trying to boot from the hard drive, then we can figure out how to fix it. But, if there are no problems when booting from the hard drive, then you are good.
There is no problem during the install process, it restart first time with no errors, if I enter on Live system using the USB and restart it, it boots normally.

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by jglen490 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 pm

If you have the Install USB plugged in, the system is booting from the USB and running the Live version not the installed version, from the hard drive. So unplug the USB, so we can trouble shoot your hard drive boot problems.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Post Reply

Return to “Installation & Boot”