Grub rescue always after shutdown

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flipe

Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe »

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Linux Mint Mate 19, all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart or continues trying it, I restart and everything works smooth, but if I shutdown the PC it always stuck on "grub rescue", I tried it with Mint 19 and 18.3 and the problem is the same.

I trying to install it on a i5 with 8GB ram, on a 1TB Seagate HD.

Primary
250MB /BOOT

Logical
50GB /
800GB /HOME
8GB SWAP

Any tip to solve this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by kukamuumuka »

Do not use separate /boot partition. Copy boot folder into /, and comment out (#) UUID ... /boot line in the /etc/fstab file.
flipe

Post by flipe »

administrollaattori wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am Do not use separate /boot partition. Copy boot folder into /, and comment out (#) UUID ... /boot line in the /etc/fstab file.
I will format it again without "/boot" partition.

Thank you.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

flipe wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:24 pm
administrollaattori wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am Do not use separate /boot partition. Copy boot folder into /, and comment out (#) UUID ... /boot line in the /etc/fstab file.
I will format it again without "/boot" partition.

Thank you.
No need to format, just copy and uncomment. :wink:
flipe

Re: [SOLVED] Grub rescue always after shutdown

Post by flipe »

Thank you, copy the /boot to / and comment /boot line on the /etc/fstab works for me.
flipe

Post by flipe »

Sorry for reopen the topic, but I tried to copy /boot to / but it works just one time, on the next shutdown the problem persists, I format it without /boot but the problem is the same, if I restart the PC it boots normally, but if I shutdown it, the PC always stucks on grub rescue.

I have a 1TB HD with the system (50GB to /, 900GB to /home and 8GB to swap that is extedend parition) and a 3TB with some data, running ls on grub rescue it just don`t find the file system on he 1TB 3 paritions, but it find it on the 3TB that is just a data HD, without Linux installed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

flipe wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm I format it without /boot but the problem is the same
Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.

The information will help someone who can diagnose the issue.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

flipe wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm I have a 1TB HD with the system (50GB to /, 900GB to /home and 8GB to swap that is extedend parition) and a 3TB with some data, running ls on grub rescue it just don`t find the file system on he 1TB 3 paritions, but it find it on the 3TB that is just a data HD, without Linux installed.
That sounds some connection error in cables. Unplug the 3TB HD and see what happens. An another issue for Grub rescue can be symbolic links in the / partition, so remove them.

cd /
sudo unlink initrd.img
sudo unlink vmlinuz
flipe

Post by flipe »

catweazel wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm
flipe wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm I format it without /boot but the problem is the same
Please post the output of this terminal command:

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.

The information will help someone who can diagnose the issue.

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P7P55D DELUXE v: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: 2101 date: 09/28/2012
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5 750 (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 21398
           clock speeds: max: 2668 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1333 MHz 3: 2267 MHz 4: 1333 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Barts PRO [Radeon HD 6850] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-38-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Barts HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6800 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus-ID: 06:04.0
           IF: enp6s4 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4032.8GB (0.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST31000528AS size: 1000.2GB temp: 26C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Edge size: 32.0GB temp: 71C
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: ST3000DM008 size: 3000.6GB temp: 27C
Partition: ID-1: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 29.0C gpu: 45.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2008 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0
Info:      Processes: 179 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 672.5/7977.5MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
flipe

Post by flipe »

administrollaattori wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 pm
flipe wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:56 pm I have a 1TB HD with the system (50GB to /, 900GB to /home and 8GB to swap that is extedend parition) and a 3TB with some data, running ls on grub rescue it just don`t find the file system on he 1TB 3 paritions, but it find it on the 3TB that is just a data HD, without Linux installed.
That sounds some connection error in cables. Unplug the 3TB HD and see what happens. An another issue for Grub rescue can be symbolic links in the / partition, so remove them.

cd /
sudo unlink initrd.img
sudo unlink vmlinuz
I unlinked both (mouting /dev/sda1 on /mnt), it goes on restart but if I shutdown the PC it stuck on grub rescue.

Unpluged the 3TB HD, same behaviour.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

flipe wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 amI'm trying to install Linux Mint Mate 19, all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart or continues trying it, I restart and everything works smooth, but if I shutdown the PC it always stuck on "grub rescue",
It sounds curious that shutdown gives "grub rescue". You could try "pci=nomsi" or "pci=noaer" options in the /etc/default/grub's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line.

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
After editing update grub and reboot.

sudo update-grub
flipe

Post by flipe »

administrollaattori wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:14 pm
flipe wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 amI'm trying to install Linux Mint Mate 19, all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart or continues trying it, I restart and everything works smooth, but if I shutdown the PC it always stuck on "grub rescue",
It sounds curious that shutdown gives "grub rescue". You could try "pci=nomsi" or "pci=noaer" options in the /etc/default/grub's GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line.

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
After editing update grub and reboot.

sudo update-grub
It returns that: grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `aufs'

I tried grub-install on /dev/sda but persists the error, I just can use the Live Mint, never the system.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

What is the USB drive that shows as

ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Cruzer_Edge size: 32.0GB
in the inxi query?
flipe

Post by flipe »

jglen490 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm What is the USB drive that shows as

in the inxi query?
There is the Linux Mint to install.

I believe the problem could be the HD, I tried Hiren's Boot on it and running and HD health status program, It returns the HD has just 31MB, what I can't understand is why it runs normal during the install process, but not find GRUB after the shutdown, I tried Ubuntu today and I has the same behaviour!
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

flipe wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm

in the inxi query?

I believe the problem could be the HD, I tried Hiren's Boot on it and running and HD health status program, It returns the HD has just 31MB, what I can't understand is why it runs normal during the install process, but not find GRUB after the shutdown, I tried Ubuntu today and I has the same behaviour!
Once you have installed Mint, you should remove the install USB. Before trying anything else, remove the USB drive and shutdown/restart the computer. I say that because in your first sentence in your original post you say
all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart
flipe

Post by flipe »

jglen490 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 pm
flipe wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm

in the inxi query?

Once you have installed Mint, you should remove the install USB. Before trying anything else, remove the USB drive and shutdown/restart the computer. I say that because in your first sentence in your original post you say
all the process occur normally, after I installed it, Mint ask for restart
Another strange behaviour, If i goes to Live and just restart, it boots, I asking you now from the system on HD!
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

We need to know if your Mint install on your hard drive was successful. If there are problems when trying to boot from the hard drive, then we can figure out how to fix it. But, if there are no problems when booting from the hard drive, then you are good.
flipe

Post by flipe »

jglen490 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:09 pm We need to know if your Mint install on your hard drive was successful. If there are problems when trying to boot from the hard drive, then we can figure out how to fix it. But, if there are no problems when booting from the hard drive, then you are good.
There is no problem during the install process, it restart first time with no errors, if I enter on Live system using the USB and restart it, it boots normally.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

If you have the Install USB plugged in, the system is booting from the USB and running the Live version not the installed version, from the hard drive. So unplug the USB, so we can trouble shoot your hard drive boot problems.

Return to “Installation & Boot”