After upgrade to 19 system keeps asking for password

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

After upgrade to 19 system keeps asking for password

Post by alpha_delta »

I've upgraded to Linux Mint 19 from 18.3 using the upgrade tool. After using the upgrade tool, I updated the software using the software manager. The software manager accepted my old (18.3) password. I was not asked for a new password during the process. Afterward, everything seemed fine. I then restarted my computer. Unfortunately, I was not able to get into the system: After I input my old password the screen turns black and then the system asks for my password again. This keeps repeating. Oddly, if I try to use anything other than my old password, I get the message "wrong password". So, the part of the system keeps the old password, but another portion of the software does not act as if it is the right password.
I have Windows 10 and Linux Mint, dual boot system, on an HP17.
Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: After upgrade to 19 system keeps asking for password

Post by gm10 »

Your password is fine, just your profile cannot be loaded. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in there, then check that your disk isn't full:

Code: Select all

df / /home
Check the Use% column, if that's 100% then that's your problem. Run apt clean, delete some stuff until you've got a bit of room back.

Otherwise run

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER ~
and

rm ~/.Xauthority ~/.ICEauthority
exit
followed by Alt+F7 and try to log in again. If it still doesn't work, got back to Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in and run

startx
see what the error message is, if any
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

I was only using 8%. The error message that I got was:
xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (operation not permitted)
xinit: connection to X server lost
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

I don't know if it helps, but the computer was using system config directory "usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d" when it issued the error message above.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The joys that only upgrades can bring. :P Any proprietary graphics driver installed? That will probably need updating to be compatible, get the newest version.
Also ll /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ should list two files only, 10-quirks and 40-libinput.conf, delete anything else (sudo rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/FILENAME).
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

There were about 6 other folders in the directory, removing them did not solve my problem.
I believe I have an intel driver. How do I update it? Is there an easy way using the mint 19 installation dvd? Would I be better off installing from scratch, using the dvd?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

alpha_delta wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm I believe I have an intel driver. How do I update it? Is there an easy way using the mint 19 installation dvd? Would I be better off installing from scratch, using the dvd?
The process is almost like installing an another driver.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=267072&p=1453215#p1453215
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

I've followed the instructions and things seemed to go well. This time the startx did not give an error message. However, the original problem was not solved.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

alpha_delta wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 am I've followed the instructions and things seemed to go well. This time the startx did not give an error message. However, the original problem was not solved.
What happens when you run startx then?
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

I'm sorry. Actually, there was an error message:
xinit: connection to X server lost
Server terminated successfully (0)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

please try

sudo adduser newuser
(you can put any user name instead of newuser or just stick with it)

enter a UNIX password, for everything else you can just press Enter, leaving it blank, then press Y at the end. Now Alt+F7 and see if you can log into that new user. If you can, log out, go back to Ctrl+Alt+F1 and run

rm ~/.x*
then try to startx again.
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

I cannot login as the new user, the system keeps asking for the password.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ok, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't your user environment at fault. I would suggest to reinstall the display manager

apt install --reinstall lightdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
and also your desktop environment - which one have you got? for Cinnamon:

apt install --reinstall mint-meta-cinnamon cinnamon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The similar question by KirkDyer is now here. Please do not piggyback on existing questions, even if they are similar. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

I was able to install and configure lightdm. However, when I tried to issue the command for installing cinnamon (or mate) I got the error message: "Command line option --reinstall is not understood in combination with the other options". I've tried to run some modifications to the command, such as deleting the last"cinnamon" or deleting the "--". Nothing worked.
I then tried to run startx. This time, there didn't seem to be an error message, but I didn't see an x window. There was a message that the system was waiting for the X server to shut down, and then the server terminated successfully. Is there any value in looking at the log file?
I certainly had mate as a user environment, but I think that I also had cinnamon. I'm assuming that the right command for reinstalling mate is replacing "cinnamon" with "mate" in the appropriate command.

Thanks
gm10

Post by gm10 »

That means you made a typo with the command. Let's use apt-get instead to be sure though, and let's do it thoroughly:

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge "mate-*"
and

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-mate
and finally let's restart the display manager

sudo systemctl restart lightdm
See if you can log in graphically now.
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

Some progress, but we are still not there!
I've reinstalled mate and cinnamon. Starting the display manager brought me to the graphical login display. This time, there was a small icon to the right of my username (It wasn't there before). It's a double lined circle, with a black arrowhead on the left side of the circle. I tried to click the icon several times, it worked only once. When it did work, it gave me the option of using either Cinnamon or Mate. I chose Mate, which is the default, Unfortunately, I am still unable to log in.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

You can check /var/log/xorg.0.log in hopes of finding more details on the problem. I'm out of ideas for now. I never do upgrades for this exact reason. They can take more time doing and fixing than a clean install ever would. :P
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

We are almost there!
Turns out that if I move the cursor to the new user, which I added yesterday, I can select Mate or Cinnamon for him. Once I do that, I can select the user environment for me. If I select Mate, I cannot log in. However, I can log in using cinnamon. So the main problem is partially solved. Is there anything I can do, now that I have the GUI?
Also, the environment option has Cinnamon, and Cinnamon (software rendered) in addition to Mate. Do I need the software rendered version? Could I get rid of it?
alpha_delta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alpha_delta »

gm10: many thanks for your efforts! You are right, a fresh install is probably my best option.

Return to “Installation & Boot”