[SOLVED]AMD laptop freezes when changing Display settings

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED]AMD laptop freezes when changing Display settings

Post by foxtreat »

did not know where to post it so here goes:
Got a broken HP laptop using a AMD cpu
I turned it into a desktop
However it still detects it's old display even when unplugged (the integrated screen)
I use a a external monitor
Linux mint 19(18.3 has the same issue)
I can set the monitor as primary and move them around but if I change any resolution settings or turn off the integrated screen linux freezes into double black screens
Using linux mint software rendering allows me to change the settings without freezing
Disabling software rendering on reboot as it is slow as a snail causes double black screen.unless I reboot into software rendering and change it back to default by enabling the integrated screen.
It being plugged in or not has no effect
Driver manager shows no drivers in use and no options to disable or enable

I have 5 other Intel linux machines that do not give such a issue
I can change settings in software rendering but I can not use the laptop that way as it is insanely slow
Help?

EDIT:late reply ,issue was resolved by installing 17.3 and then upgrading to 18.3 keeping the older kernel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Steam and Gaming bröther
N3wb

Re: AMD laptop freezes when changing Display settings

Post by N3wb »

I'm not well versed enough in how Linux works but you probably need to write down your system specs if you want meaningful help from others.
Post the result of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Return to “Installation & Boot”