Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
berryboy_84
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint and Ubuntu both stuck on boot up

Post by berryboy_84 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi,
So I've made a big mistake and hoping someone can help me.
I have a Windows 10 laptop that I was hoping to install a dual boot with Mint on. Windows is on my C drive and I thought it'd be good to install meant on the D drive as it has more memory. I booted mint up from a USB stick and click the install. I selected round 186gb of my D drive to install the mint partition and then when it started asking me about what country I was in. I decided I want to go and back up some of the stuff on my D drive before continuing. Not realising that Linux was already formatting and partitioning my hard drive in the background, I rebooted my computer... yes silly me I know..

Please see below a picture of the disk manager with the current state my hard drives. I've tried to extend volume of the healthy partition to use up the 186gb to return the hard drive to where it was before I started. But it just tells me there is not enough room. I have tried multiple types of partition software but nothing seems to work.
If I try to boot up Mint of the USB stick to use the Linux partition in tools but I just got a the screen similar to the picture below. The picture shown below is from Ubuntu as I tried installing it to see if it work but got the same problem as mint
Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? so I can get that 186gb back or install Mint onto it?
I'd be very grateful
Thank mark
startup.jpg
disk.jpg

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint and Ubuntu both stuck on boot up

Post by jglen490 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Been a while since I did things on a Windows machine, but as far as I remember Windows knows nothing about filesystems that are not Windows. So it shows the 186GB as "unallocated" even though there is Linux-related data and a Linux filesystem. You need to use the Linux equivalent of Disk Management which would be gparted. The Mint installer has it, or some variant of gparted. Cold boot your machine so it boots up with the USB drive. When you get the installer screen, don't select the Install option, select the option to try Mint. Once it's up you should be able to run gparted and look at your drive space. Gparted will "see" Windows partitions. You can use it to wipe the Linux partition within the 186GB space.

From there you can then select Install, and the Install alongside Windows option using that unallocated space. 186GB is big enough to have decent space to check out Mint.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 pm
When you get the installer screen, don't select the Install option, select the option to try Mint
That sounds like Ubuntu. I've never ever seen those options on Mint; Mint just boots into a live session, with an installer icon on the desktop. As long as the OP does not click that, it's fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

berryboy_84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by berryboy_84 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 am

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 pm
Been a while since I did things on a Windows machine, but as far as I remember Windows knows nothing about filesystems that are not Windows. So it shows the 186GB as "unallocated" even though there is Linux-related data and a Linux filesystem. You need to use the Linux equivalent of Disk Management which would be gparted. The Mint installer has it, or some variant of gparted. Cold boot your machine so it boots up with the USB drive. When you get the installer screen, don't select the Install option, select the option to try Mint. Once it's up you should be able to run gparted and look at your drive space. Gparted will "see" Windows partitions. You can use it to wipe the Linux partition within the 186GB space.

From there you can then select Install, and the Install alongside Windows option using that unallocated space. 186GB is big enough to have decent space to check out Mint.
Hi jglen490,

Mint boots straight into the try Mint option form the USB drive. But ever sins I tried the first install. it gets stuck at the startup screen and if I go to the terminal it just repeats the message in my picture in my post. I have tried Ubuntu but it gives me the same message.

Thanks,
Mark

berryboy_84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by berryboy_84 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 am

Moem wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 am
That sounds like Ubuntu. I've never ever seen those options on Mint; Mint just boots into a live session, with an installer icon on the desktop. As long as the OP does not click that, it's fine.
Hi Moem,

You are right that it is the Ubuntu. I have tried both Ubuntu and Mint booting into the live/try session but, they keep giving me the screen in the picture I posted. I think I cancelled the install when it was in the middle of creating the file system. and that is what has made the problem.

Thanks,
Mark

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 am

berryboy_84 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 am
Mint boots straight into the try Mint option form the USB drive.
Start the live media and post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.

You can copy the text from the terminal screen and paste here.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

berryboy_84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by berryboy_84 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 am

Start the live media and post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.

You can copy the text from the terminal screen and paste here.
Hi catweazel,

Unfortunately, it doesn't get as far as the terminal. It gets stuck at startup, If I hole Ctrl+Alf+F1 it will show me the boot process but just keeps printing the same thing that you can see in the picture I added to the post. I think I cancelled the install when it was in the middle of creating the file system. that is what has made the problem. It's seeing that a tiny part of the os is there so it's trying to boot from it. But I can't seem to delete the partly made partition. so start from scratch.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 am

berryboy_84 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:29 am
Unfortunately, it doesn't get as far as the terminal. It gets stuck at startup
berryboy_84 wrote:Mint boots straight into the try Mint option form the USB drive.
That says the live media runs.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

berryboy_84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by berryboy_84 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 am

Hi all just an update,

After trying to boot multiple time finally Linux mint finally booted from the USB. so I used gparted from there to completely remove the broken install then do a fresh install. I did run into a diffrent problem with in getting stuck at the splash screen. but fixed that fallowing the instructions on this page https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon.php

Thanks for all your help,
Mark :)

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Glad you're back up and running!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”