[SOLVED] Installing Mint on a separate SSD from Windows 10 Pro

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WENDIGO4LIFE

[SOLVED] Installing Mint on a separate SSD from Windows 10 Pro

Post by WENDIGO4LIFE »

Hi everyone:

Linux noob here. I would like to install Linux Mint on a Separate SSD that is currently empty. But will it still give me the option to choose which OS when it boots. Anything I should know before proceeding?

Brian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing Mint on a separate SSD from Windows 10 Pro

Post by catweazel »

WENDIGO4LIFE wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 pm Anything I should know before proceeding?
Yes. Linux drive devices have a different nomenclature to Windwoes. There's no such thing as C:\ in linux, rather it uses /dev/sda or /dev/sda1. where the former refers to the entire first drive and the latter to the first partition on the first drive. For subsequent drives you'll see /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 etc. When you do the installation, make sure that the installer is going to put the GrUB bootloader onto the correct drive. Failure to do this may cause your Windwoes bootloader some issues, and will b0rk your linux bootloader the next time Microsoft releases a major Windwoes update. You want to put the bootloader onto to the SSD where you're installing linux, not on the Windwoes drive. This way you can alter the boot sequence in your machine's BIOS to always boot from the SSD where linux resides. which will give you the ability to boot from either Windwoes or linux.

Also, before you start, make sure that Fast Boot (or similar) is turned off in your UEFI BIOS before proceeding. Finally, check the power options in Windwoes for Fast Boot; disable it and shut the machine down fully. Failure to do this will mean that you can't share your NTFS partitions with linux.

Oh, one other thing. I suggest searching the forums and reading a few articles to get an idea of what else you might need to consider, or what problems you might encounter with Windwoes on a separate drive: https://www.google.com.au/search?num=10 ... 21RMokOjBk

Good luck.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

WENDIGO4LIFE wrote:.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295 (UEFI Installing - Tips; see Two Drives Install)
[For installing Linux on an external USB hard-drive, a workaround is to unplug the Win 8.x/10 internal hard-drive and install LM on the external USB hard-drive together with its bootloader = plug in the external USB hard-drive only when you want to boot LM.
....... The above workaround may also work for a 2 internal hard-drives desktop setup, ie after installation of LM, boot each OS via the Boot Menu of BIOS Setup by selecting the appropriate internal hard-drive as the 1st boot device]

P S - All OEM Windows computers from 2012 onward(= Win 8 ) are UEFI. All those before 2012 are Legacy BIOS, which are much easier to install, eg two-drives install as a dual-boot.
expat_tony

Post by expat_tony »

My intention is exactly the same as the OP's but my drive is a new HDD, type WD Elements.
This has 29Kb of "System Volume Information" on it.
Do I need to format the drive ànd get rid of everything before I start?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

The installer can handle that for you, or you could use the "Something Else .." option & set up the partitions the way you want them.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
expat_tony

Post by expat_tony »

Thank you BG405. So with the "Something else" option I can leave the manufacturer's 29 kb as it is and make my own "/" "/swap" and "/home".
I think I'll go for that. At least there's no Windows on the disk to bother me.

As this is not my thread, I won't mark it solved, but will report if successful.

Return to “Installation & Boot”