[Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] Manual install: Correct Partition sizes, Partition Order, File System types, and Encryption..

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

[Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] Manual install: Correct Partition sizes, Partition Order, File System types, and Encryption..

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:58 am

Hello all,
  • Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon
  • 1TB Samsung 970 m.2 SSD (All ~1024GB for Linux, nothing else.)
  • 24GB RAM
  • I am really OCD. :D
Instead of installing LM19 the default way of "Erase disk and install Linux Mint*," I would like to install it manually via "Something else," option so that I can:
  • ...manage the swap area to my desired size. (I don't need 24GB of swap area. Is 1GB enough? I don't use hibernate, sleep etc...)
  • ...possibly set aside some unallocated space for provisioning? (Even necessary for SSD health with newer drives?) Update: The answer is NO. Newer SSD's come already provisioned from the factory so unless you plan to provision 10%, in my case 100GB which is unreasonable and irrelevant to my usage scenario, don't bother provisioning.)
  • ...Encrypt the partitions / volumes that need to be encrypted.
Can someone please confirm the following and verify that the:

1. Partition Sizes,
2. Partition Order,
3. Mount points,
4. File Type(s)

...are all correct for a Manual Install?

=======================copy/paste================================
  • Partition 1: boot /efi (512MB) -> fat32?
+ Type for the new partition: Primary
+ Location: Beginning of this space
  • Partition 2: boot (732MB) -> ext4 or ext2?
  • Partition 3: main partition (rest of what's available) -> ext4
  • Partition 4: swap (1GB) -> swap area
==========================end==================================

Questions:
The reason I have listed (boot /efi) and (boot) + the partition sizes shown is because that is what it showed in 'gparted' on my default* (Erase disk and install Linux Mint) install, therefore I had just mimicked that. Is having both even necessary?

When creating the boot partition, should I keep it ext4 (journaled) or ext2 (not journaled)? The boot partition doesn't need to be journaled correct? If so, I'm curious as to why by default LM19 creates the /boot as ext4 if it doesn't need to be journaled and why some people say to set it to ext2 since it does not need to be journaled?

* Please see the attached picture(s) of the gparted screen shot of my default* install. You'll see that the first two partitions are boot/efi (fat32) and the second partition as /boot (ext4). Also, the swap area is nowhere to be seen as it's hidden within the main encrypted volume, which is why I am not able to resize it.

It is to my understanding that only the boot /EFI needs to be first in order. Correct?

Encryption:
If I'm wanting to Encrypt my Home folder, should anything else be encrypted as well or is there no need to encrypt other non essential partitions such as the /boot etc... ?

Is it best to Encrypt everything or to leave everything unencrypted and to just encrypt individual folders within the system?

I'm aware that this is personal preference with the con's of encrypting your drive, potentially making it difficult for when it comes to data recovery, but I was just curious what method some of you who do encrypt use.

For the other question specifically regarding encryption and swap area, please see the 3rd post below titled:
:idea: [Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] How to resize swap area on an encrypted volume? :idea:

Thanks in advance to those that can shed light on this. I really appreciate it very much. Upon my hours of researching this, there are so many ways around the mountain, but all I'd like for me and for others who may be seeking this info, is a clean, basic, straight forward and concise answer for a basic manual install.

Would you be able to please copy/paste the partition info above, make edits and reply as I'll create it in that order when performing the manual install. :)

* I'll update the OP accordingly for those who may be seeking this info in the future.

Cheers!
Attachments
1TBpartitions.png
1tbssd_gparted.png
Last edited by iunlock on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:19 am, edited 8 times in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] How to resize swap area on an encrypted volume?

Post by xenopeek » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:09 am

So either there is a logical volume for swap within the encrypted LVM partition or it's using a swap file. Let's first figure out exactly which. From your system run this command from the terminal and share output here:
swapon --show

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

[Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] How to resize swap area on an encrypted volume?

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:08 am

Hello all,
  • Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon.
  • 1TB Samsung 970 SSD
  • 24GB RAM
  • [Encrypted] lvm
I installed via the "erase disk / default," method so LM19 created a swap area of 24GB (equal to my RAM size), which I don't need or want.

I would like to resize the swap area to 1GB and reclaim the rest of the 23GB for extra space.

Issue:
I've tried booting via USB -> Opened gparted, however since my volume is encrypted, I am not able to see/access the swap area to be able to adjust it.

When opening gparted while booted into the system, I see the same thing with it showing the [Encrypted] lvm2 where the swap is hiding in. There is no way to 'swap off' and to resize it.

* I've attached a picture of what it shows in gparted.

Questions:
How can I adjust the swap area on an encrypted volume?

Is it even a good idea to be messing with adjusting space with an encrypted volume or is that asking for trouble? ie... Even though it's only the swap area, because it is within the encrypted volume, I wasn't sure if moving things around inside of that encrypted volume was wise or not.

Is 1GB of swap area even necessary with there being 24GB of RAM? At most with my usage scenario, I've seen the RAM at ~9GB tops so I don't think swap area is even necessary, but just in case some strange anomaly of the system possibly ignoring available RAM with some apps/programs, I figured dedicating 1GB would be enough just as insurance? - Should I reserve more than 1GB?
  • I do not use hibernate, sleep etc... so I'm not worried about needing swap for that.
Notes:
I plan to do a fresh install and to manually create my partitions, however I have some specific questions regarding that, which I'll include in a separate thread. My main curiosity here is about whether it's possible to decrease swap area on an encrypted volume.

Thanks in advance. :)
Attachments
SystemMonitor2.png
1tbssd_gparted.png
1TBpartitions.png
Last edited by iunlock on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:11 am

Thanks for your reply on my very first post! :D

When I run: swapon --show

* Please see attached pic.

Thanks!
Attachments
swapon--show.png
swapon--show.png (8.26 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Last edited by iunlock on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 am

Mod note:
Topics merged, because they are really about the same thing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 am

Moem wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 am
Mod note:
Topics merged, because they are really about the same thing.
Would you be able to please change the title to:

Thanks!
Last edited by iunlock on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:32 am

With the added information from your other topic, I'd suggest you could just disable swap. It's generally recommended to have swap set to 20% of physical RAM (unless you need to be able to suspend to disk) but personally I just don't use swap on my 16 GiB RAM system at all. It depends on the workload. Are you doing content creation like video editing, rendering, RAW photo editing or anything like that? In that case you're likely using a lot of RAM all the time for such tasks and having swap as fallback would be useful. For my use I don't need the fallback so have installed without swap.

Several ways to go about it but if you want to disable swap let's figure out what you want to do with the 24 GiB logical volume currently used for swap. You could delete it and add its disk space to another logical volume (such as your Linux Mint filesystem). Or you could leave it and reformat it to use for something else.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:32 am

Would you be able to please change the title
Yes, but so can you. :-)
Use the Edit option on the first message; that will change the title for the whole thread. It's also how people mark their topics as solved.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:42 am

xenopeek wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:32 am
With the added information from your other topic, I'd suggest you could just disable swap. It's generally recommended to have swap set to 20% of physical RAM (unless you need to be able to suspend to disk) but personally I just don't use swap on my 16 GiB RAM system at all. It depends on the workload. Are you doing content creation like video editing, rendering, RAW photo editing or anything like that? In that case you're likely using a lot of RAM all the time for such tasks and having swap as fallback would be useful. For my use I don't need the fallback so have installed without swap.

Several ways to go about it but if you want to disable swap let's figure out what you want to do with the 24 GiB logical volume currently used for swap. You could delete it and add its disk space to another logical volume (such as your Linux Mint filesystem). Or you could leave it and reformat it to use for something else.
Great info and I agree My usage habits are very non taxing and the max I've seen the RAM hit is around 9GB with a million Firefox tabs open etc...

I don't do any content creating on this machine. It's just an ultrabook as my daily driver for surfing ...

Out of the 24GB of swap area, I would like to convert that to:
  • 1GB of swap? Eh even worth it?
  • 23GB to merge into the main volume for some more space.
Is provisioning even necessary on newer SSD's? It's to my understanding that most SSD's come somewhat provisioned from the factory with even it's own built in trim function.

From my research, it's either people swear by still dedicating ~7%-10% of the SSD (up to ~10GB) for provisioning -OR- To not even waste the space and don't provision at all... :?:

As for me and this 1TB SSD, I don't plan to ever fill this thing to even 80% of its limit, which is the same practice I follow for all my other storage drives.

Oh also, I'm one of those that avoid hibernation / sleep modes like a plague with SSD's. In fact, they are all disabled so that it can't even be an option. :wink:
Last edited by iunlock on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 am

Moem wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:32 am
Would you be able to please change the title
Yes, but so can you. :-)
Use the Edit option on the first message; that will change the title for the whole thread. It's also how people mark their topics as solved.
Ah the first thread (changing swap one) is on top, so if I rename that one, the title wouldn't match the thread. Would you be able to move the (Manual install thread) up top? I'll then rename the (swap thread) accordingly.

I'm so used to not being able to change titles on other forums lol... Definitely appreciate the luxury! Glad to be here... :mrgreen:

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Re: [Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] Manual install: Correct Partition sizes, Partition Order, File System types, and Encrypti

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:13 am

iunlock wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 am
Would you be able to move the (Manual install thread) up top?
No, sorry, the order is purely based on the time stamp. Maybe you can think of a title that's a little more general so it fits the entire topic?

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] Manual install: Correct Partition sizes, Partition Order, File System types, and Encrypti

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 am

Moem wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:13 am
iunlock wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 am
Would you be able to move the (Manual install thread) up top?
No, sorry, the order is purely based on the time stamp. Maybe you can think of a title that's a little more general so it fits the entire topic?
All good! A little bit of copy/pasting did the trick. Thanks!

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 am

Looking good now! :D

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 am

iunlock wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:42 am
  • 10GB of unallocated space for provisioning.
  • 13GB to merge into the main volume for some more space.
Is provisioning even necessary on newer SSD's? It's to my understanding that most SSD's come somewhat provisioned from the factory with even it's own built in trim function.
Don't create a swap partition at all, there's no need. If you ever feel you need swap, create a swap file later on.

Over-provisioning is still a thing, although it depends on the drive's firmware whether it can dynamically use partitioned free space or unallocated space. All drives come with a certain amount of space set aside for OP no matter what. You 10 GB is 1% out of a 1TB drive and thus such an irrelevant amount that you shouldn't bother, it wouldn't make a measurable difference. You'd have to set aside 100-300 GB for it to really matter, and even then you'd only notice on heavy write operations.

For most practical purposes you'll be perfectly fine with the manufacturer-reserved amount of OP space and thus my recommendation would be to just leave it alone. But if write performance is your focus then you should also look into using the f2fs file system, which is optimized exactly for that.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:09 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 am
iunlock wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:42 am
  • 10GB of unallocated space for provisioning.
  • 13GB to merge into the main volume for some more space.
Don't create a swap partition at all, there's no need. If you ever feel you need swap, create a swap file later on.

Over-provisioning is even a thing, although it depends on the drive's firmware whether it can dynamically use partitioned free space or unallocated space. All drives come with a certain amount of space set aside for OP no matter what. You 10 GB is 1% out of a 1TB drive and thus such an irrelevant amount that you shouldn't bother, it wouldn't make a measurable difference. You'd have to set aside 100-300 GB for it to really matter, and even then you'd only notice on heavy write operations.

For most practical purposes you'll be perfectly fine with the manufacturer-reserved amount of OP space and thus my recommendation would be to just leave it alone. But if write performance is your focus then you should also look into using the f2fs file system, which is optimized exactly for that.
You make a great point. I had a feeling that 10GB wouldn't make a dent on a 1TB SSD. Hmm...I guess this is one of those things where either,

1. Go BIG (100GB = 10% in this case) and make it worth while, or go home...

OR

2. Don't bother and let the poor 10GB be worth something and join the rest of the party and give it a chance to make something for itself eh... :lol:

Due to the reasons you've mentioned, I'll scratch the over provisioning off of the list and update my posts.

Thanks for your input!

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 am

Good evening all,

I'm really wanting to do this manual clean install asap. :mrgreen:

Can someone please confirm the following and verify that the:

1. Partition Sizes,
2. Partition Order,
3. Mount points,
4. File Type(s)

...are all correct for a Manual Install?

=======================copy/paste================================

Partition 1: boot /efi (512MB) -> fat32?

+ Type for the new partition: Primary
+ Location: Beginning of this space

Partition 2: boot (732MB) -> ext4 or ext2?

Partition 3: main partition (rest of what's available) -> ext4

Partition 4: swap (1GB) -> swap area

==========================end==================================

What's throwing me off is how the default install shows two boot partitions.

Any tips and corrections to the above would be greatly appreciated, so that I can go into this install with confidence and avoid the "oh crap I have to redo it all again, " after I've set things up.

Note:
Is it even worth making a 1GB swap area partition or don't bother?

I will not be provisioning the SSD.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:26 am

If you are going to this effort consider splitting your main install partition into 2 or 3 for root, home and optionally data. This can make backup, reinstall, upgrades etc in future much more painless. All ext-4 - whether you want to encrypt the whole lot or not your choice.

root / - 50GB should be more than sufficient - the OS and installed programs
/home - the rest unless you go for a separate data partition - if not make it about 50GB (just in case you install steam - it uses a lot of space in home)
/data - the rest - in here you would replicate the standard home folder structure, Documents, Downloads, Pictures etc (excluding Desktop) and replace the folders in /home with symlinks to the relevant folders in this partition. This is where you keep your personal docs, media etc.

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 am

Thanks for your input. Well noted. :)

My goal is to mimic the partitions it would normally create on a default installation.

I'm just wanting to get rid of / size down that swap area as 24GB of swap area is a waste for me.

Due to me just wanting to rid / size down that the swap area and wanting to keep things close to stock configuration as possible, I may just try my idea of doing the following:

Removing the 16GB RAM stick -> Installing Mint (It'll create an 8GB swap area since 8GB of RAM is soldered on the motherboard) -> Reinstalling the 16GB RAM.

Even 8GB is a waste of swap area space, but I'd be happier with that than having 24GB of waste land lol...

Now with all this being said, I'll probably not encrypt my Home folder this time around and just go the route of encrypting individual folders instead.

Had my volume not been encrypted, I could have easily gparted my way to resize my swap area, but having this thing encrypted has been a pain in the rear.

jglen490
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jglen490 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Unless you're into serious multi-booting, there is no need for complexity - or exactitude. Here's my setup, using my Kubuntu desktop. My Mint Laptop has a similar setup, except no /boot/efi, since it's not a UEFI machine.

The pattern is essentially an [EFI/root/home partition/swap] setup which is traditional - plus UEFI accommodating. Do I use my SWAP partition? Very rarely do I see anything more than a couple of fractions of a percent. My target was about 40GB for /, around 100GB for /home, and a SWAP nearly = RAM. That gives me options for loading applications, suspending, and data, especially with a whole other 320GB drive available under the /home umbrella. Why did I include the /dev/sdb drive under /home? It makes backup a piece of cake. I just backup all my data and personal junk to an external drive with one rsync command.

Code: Select all

john@john-Desktop:~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 149.1G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   476M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0  37.3G  0 part /
├─sda3   8:3    0  96.4G  0 part /home
└─sda4   8:4    0  14.9G  0 part [SWAP]
sdb      8:16   0 298.1G  0 disk 
└─sdb1   8:17   0 298.1G  0 part /home/multimedia
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
My current actual usage is:

john@john-Desktop:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G  1.5M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/sda2        37G  7.8G   27G  23% /
tmpfs           7.8G   23M  7.8G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1       476M  6.1M  469M   2% /boot/efi
/dev/sda3        95G   18G   73G  20% /home
/dev/sdb1       293G   65G  214G  24% /home/multimedia
tmpfs           1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /run/user/119
tmpfs           1.6G   28K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
No need to overthink, unless you're into serious multi-booting :)
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iunlock » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 pm

jglen490 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm
Unless you're into serious multi-booting, there is no need for complexity - or exactitude. Here's my setup, using my Kubuntu desktop. My Mint Laptop has a similar setup, except no /boot/efi, since it's not a UEFI machine.

The pattern is essentially an [EFI/root/home partition/swap] setup which is traditional - plus UEFI accommodating. Do I use my SWAP partition? Very rarely do I see anything more than a couple of fractions of a percent. My target was about 40GB for /, around 100GB for /home, and a SWAP nearly = RAM. That gives me options for loading applications, suspending, and data, especially with a whole other 320GB drive available under the /home umbrella. Why did I include the /dev/sdb drive under /home? It makes backup a piece of cake. I just backup all my data and personal junk to an external drive with one rsync command.

john@john-Desktop:~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 149.1G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   476M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0  37.3G  0 part /
├─sda3   8:3    0  96.4G  0 part /home
└─sda4   8:4    0  14.9G  0 part [SWAP]
sdb      8:16   0 298.1G  0 disk 
└─sdb1   8:17   0 298.1G  0 part /home/multimedia
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
My current actual usage is:

john@john-Desktop:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G  1.5M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/sda2        37G  7.8G   27G  23% /
tmpfs           7.8G   23M  7.8G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1       476M  6.1M  469M   2% /boot/efi
/dev/sda3        95G   18G   73G  20% /home
/dev/sdb1       293G   65G  214G  24% /home/multimedia
tmpfs           1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /run/user/119
tmpfs           1.6G   28K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
No need to overthink, unless you're into serious multi-booting :)
Thank you for your detailed response and sharing your set up.

I completely agree with you in not making this complex. That was and still is my original intent, to simply know how to mimic a stock install (partitions, type, size etc...), originally with only changing the swap area size to 1GB, while keeping everything 1:1 like a stock default install...(I've decided now to not reserve any for swap as it's not needed in my case.)

My main curiosity was about the /boot and /boot/efi as my laptop also runs windows on the 2nd SSD. ie...

LG Gram 15 (2018):
m.2 slot #1: 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, for just Linux.
m.2 slot #2: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro, for just Windows.

In regard to /boot/efi ...

This laptop is very Linux/bios friendly. Out of habit and as part of my usual protocol when it comes to installing different OS's that'll live on the same system, I always install Windows first with only that drive/SSD installed (rest of the bays are empty). Then I remove that drive (windows) and with only the other drive (Linux) in its slot, I install Linux. Once the Linux install is complete, only then I put the windows/SSD back in. [This is a habit due to the whole boot order issue that can occur in some cases.]

However, although this habit/protocol of mine may not be necessary for my particular laptop due to it being Linux friendly, because UEFI Boot is Enabled (for windows), I was more so curious about the /boot/efi and how it needs to be configured, since it is necessary in this case with it being Enabled in the bios.

This is why the stock default install creates both /boot AND /boot/efi yes?

Is the boot/efi more so for Linux and to make it compatible to live along side windows on the same system? (rhetorical, but just making sure..)

I've attached a pic of my bios options for you to see how it's configured.

Thanks again!
Attachments
LG-Gram-15.png
LG-Gram-15.png (163.89 KiB) Viewed 147 times

Return to “Installation & Boot”