[Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] Manual install: Correct Partition sizes, Partition Order, File System types, and Encryption..

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iunlock
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] Manual install: Correct Partition sizes, Partition Order, File System types, and Encrypti

Post by iunlock »

Is this exactly how I would need to create the partitions?

=======================copy/paste================================

Partition 1: /boot/efi (512MB) -> fat32

+ Type for the new partition: Primary
+ Location: Beginning of this space

Partition 2: /boot (732MB) -> ext4

Partition 3: /home (main partition)-> ext4

==========================end==================================

The size values and type are taken from my stock/default install according to what gparted shows.
gm10

Re: [Linux Mint 19 + Cinnamon] Manual install: Correct Partition sizes, Partition Order, File System types, and Encrypti

Post by gm10 »

iunlock wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:22 pm Is this exactly how I would need to create the partitions?

=======================copy/paste================================

Partition 1: /boot/efi (512MB) -> fat32

+ Type for the new partition: Primary
+ Location: Beginning of this space

Partition 2: /boot (732MB) -> ext4

Partition 3: /home (main partition)-> ext4

==========================end==================================

The size values and type are taken from my stock/default install according to what gparted shows.
That's missing a / root partition, and there's no reason for a separate /boot partition since you said you didn't want full disk encryption. I also understand that you do not want to boot your Windows via the GRUB2 boot menu, i.e. you don't want to share an EFI partition. Thus sizes I would go with are

/boot/efi (30 MB) -> fat16
/ (20 GB) -> ext4
/home (remaining size) -> ext4

Return to “Installation & Boot”