[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19 becomes nonresponsive shortly after live boot.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BooleanCube

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 19 becomes nonresponsive shortly after live boot.

Post by BooleanCube »

I'm trying to set up a new laptop to dual-boot Mint and Windows. I've done this a couple times before with no problems but THIS time it's just being a huge pain. It freezes up and/or stops acknowledging the mouse, touchpad, and keyboard shortly after booting the live usb. There's no way to do anything- all I can do is hold the power button until it shuts off.

I've created two different USBs (one with rufus, the other with universal usb) and the problem persists regardless of which I use, so the problem probably isn't the USB? Should I try making a USB with Mint 18 instead or would that just be dumb waste of time?

Any tips on how to figure out what's causing the problem would be helpful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Linux Mint 19 becomes nonresponsive shortly after live boot.

Post by kukamuumuka »

If this is Cinnamon desktop, Try Mate of Xfce.
BooleanCube

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint 19 becomes nonresponsive shortly after live boot.

Post by BooleanCube »

And by [SOLVED], I mean the problem seems to have gone away on it's own and, as far as I can tell, without me doing anything different. Still no idea what caused the problem, or if I should expect issues to crop up in the future, but everything is properly installed and working as expected so I'm no longer trapped in the hell that is Windows (except when I want to play video games).

Return to “Installation & Boot”