[Solved] lenovo yoga 530: installation Mate 19 problematic

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] lenovo yoga 530: installation Mate 19 problematic

Post by pablok »

Dear members,
I really need your knowledge to install mate 19 on this brand new machine with a pre-installed windows 10.
Lenovo advises to switch to legacy support in the bios/uefi. Did so. I disabled windows Fast Boot and Secure Boot.

The system boots from my usb stick. But when I click to install, the first welcome or install screen flashes by and disappears. Other occasions left me with a mouse cursor with a rotating image to indicate it was busy with something. Could not open terminal to check with top. Also, the F2 option to start mate-terminal failed as well. Menu did not function etc.

Starting in compatibility mode left me with a screen, but no mouse or keybord.
The replacement of quiet splash with nomodeset gave me a screen but without anything visual on it.

Tested with an older xfce 18 32b and this one came to the conclusion there was no operating system on the machine...

I would really like to install Mate 19 on this machine.

Please advice!

pablok
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: lenovo yoga 530: installation Mate 19 problematic

Post by michael louwe »

pablok wrote:.
The Lenovo Yoga 530 likely does not support Linux, eg a few missing device drivers. ... https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9 ... _14_2500u/
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pablok »

Thanks for your response @Michael Louwe,
But I do not think this is the case.
Everything works when I boot from the usb stick. It goes wrong when I try to install it on the nvme ssd disk.
Because I thought the installation had failed I went back to a 18.3 version. Started to install it and came across the 'comment' that Linux Mint 19 Tara is momentarily installed on the system.
Cancelled and tried to fix the grub install.

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt  /dev/nvme0n1
It comes back with

grub-probe: error: failed to get cannonical path of 'aufs'.
And the

warning that this GPT partition label contains no Bios Boot Partition: embedding won't be possible
".
and some grub.install.real warnings about the lack of a bios boot partition and the inability to embedding. Only with blocklists GRUB can be installed but blocklists are unreliable.
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Re: lenovo yoga 530: installation Mate 19 problematic [Solved]

Post by pablok »

After a lot of tinkering with the bios and switching between 18.3 and 19 to install, I managed to install 18.3.
After disabling all the "Intel security" options.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's good news! Now you can mark the thread as solved in the first post, so that other people who may be having the same problem can find it more easily. Changing the title of the first post changes the title of the whole topic.
pablok wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:13 am After disabling all the "Intel security" options.
I'm not surprised. That's generally needed. But I'm glad to hear you got it working.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pablok »

Moem wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:54 am That's good news! Now you can mark the thread as solved in the first post, so that other people who may be having the same problem can find it more easily. Changing the title of the first post changes the title of the whole topic.
pablok wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:13 am After disabling all the "Intel security" options.
I'm not surprised. That's generally needed. But I'm glad to hear you got it working.
If you are right, why is there no mention of it in the documentation (https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... a=default#)?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Solved] lenovo yoga 530: installation Mate 19 problematic

Post by Moem »

I don't know, I did not write those. My guess: because this part differs so much from one manufacturer to the next, and also from one OS to the next (the one that's present before you install Mint), so it's very hard to give general rules.

Mint can handle UEFI with 'secure boot' some of the time. But switching it off never hurts and often helps.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”