boot loader installed to wrong location [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

boot loader installed to wrong location [SOLVED]

Post by davethewave »

Is there a way to somehow to load the Mint OS? (Mint is on /dev/sda3) by editing grub4dos menu or the windows boot loader?

I installed Linux mint 19 mate from a SDcard (/dev/mmcblk0p1) and in the installer, I picked /dev/sda as the boot loader since i already have Windows there and / (root) as /dev/sda3. The installer installed the boot loader to mmcblk0 though so I can only boot into the Mint OS with the SDcard inserted, which means I can't ever format the SDcard and use it for other things or remove it if I want to boot to Mint :lol:

my windows setup is a little weird though so maybe that's why. I have a normal windows 7 boot with the option to load a grub4dos boot to load a 9Gb windows.vhd into RAM. Maybe it got confused somehow by my boot menu.

if linux can be manually entered into grub4dos or windows boot menu please let me know how :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: boot loader installed to wrong location

Post by kukamuumuka »

Add the next lines to the grub4dos's menu.lst file.

Code: Select all

title find and load Grub2
find --set-root /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
boot

title find and load Grub2 older version
find --set-root /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
davethewave
Level 1
Level 1

Re: boot loader installed to wrong location