Need to create sda from system only seeing loop0

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JAFOLou

Need to create sda from system only seeing loop0

Post by JAFOLou »

Ok my who knows how many attempts to install a linux distro. I think I have some progress. I have a doner laptop I am dedicating to the learning.

Mint 19 cinnamon 3.8.6

What I did:
Tried to install once it took but never has a swap partition and would not reload. So I did a shred to the whole hdd. Now I have loop0 at 1.8g and nothing else can not create other partitions and when I try to install mint from the live CD it says I have 0 free space on a 1.8g hdd.

I'm guessing I need to create a dev/sda and a swap and maybe a third partition for my data so mint is separate from my data. (How in used to have it with windows and once a year I'd wipe my C drive keeping my data and other programs on D then use D to reinstall all I had)

All I need to know is how to create I suppose a dev/sda and go from there so I can install and start learning more.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Need to create sda from system only seeing loop0

Post by WharfRat »

Mint is not going to fit on a 1.8g hdd

From the live media, open the terminal application and paste back the results of sudo blkid
JAFOLou

Post by JAFOLou »

/dev/sr0: UUID="2018-06-26-18-22-19-00" LABEL="Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 32-bit" TYPE="iso9660" PTUUID="0b3f944c" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda5: UUID="59ebfdf3-e800-4c5e-8570-3fa4e1e7ce88" TYPE="swap"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"

Sorry for the long reply. I was awaiting notification that the post was approved.
JAFOLou

Post by JAFOLou »

Bump? Had issues with booting the Live CD on this machine for some reason after closing the screen.

How would I create a SDA1, 2, and 3 possibly 4 when all I see is loop0 after I did a wipe of the drive. I assume I wiped out the boot sector?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

You only have a swap partition on /dev/sda5. There is nothing else on that disk.

What you should do is just install using the option to use the entire disk.

The installation procedure will setup the / and swap partitions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”