Encryption of installation partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
info5

Encryption of installation partition

Post by info5 »

Hello guys,

running more than one OSS on one HDD, I have got one question.

Is it possible to encrypt the partitions (root, swap, home) of a linux mint installation during the installation procedure?

What I do NOT want is to encrypt the whole HDD.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Encryption of installation partition

Post by xenopeek »

Full disk encryption is an option in the installer, which encrypts all the partitions created for Linux Mint only. Combine it with "install alongside" option to retain other currently installed operating systems.
info5

Post by info5 »

xenopeek wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:17 pm Full disk encryption is an option in the installer, which encrypts all the partitions created for Linux Mint only.
Thank you.

But I am not sure if I have got it right:

Does this mean that if I'd select "Full disk encryption" during the installation procedure of LM, it will - despite its naming - not encrypt the full disk but just the LM-partitions to be installed?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, it encrypts only the partitions created for installation of Linux Mint.
info5

Post by info5 »

Why the expression "FullDiskEncryption" is used, if only the LM system is encrypted? It is illogical.

And if /boot remains unencrypted it should be called then LMPE (linux mint partly encryption) or similar.

Return to “Installation & Boot”