Can software be saved to a bootable USB?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmfbr

Can software be saved to a bootable USB?

Post by lmfbr »

I have installed Mint 19 64 bit Cinnamon to a 16GB flash drive (stick). I can boot from the stick and Mint runs fine. When I try to install software, the installation looks normal, but it is apparently not writing to the stick. When I boot Mint later, it runs, just as before, but the software I tried to install is gone.

I have tried the stick boot on my 3 Win10 computers. On the Skylake one, and the Sandy Bridge one, the behavior is as described above. On my Haswell computer, I have not been able to boot from the stick. All three computers are running Win10 Pro, 64 bit, 16GB, Intel i7.

Is there a way I can add software to the Mint stick, so that it will save as if it were a system drive? I would like to install a couple of browsers, and two games.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Can software be saved to a bootable USB?

Post by WharfRat »

Hello lmfbr Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

It sounds like you're running the installation media.

The filesystem is not persistent so everything is basically lost when you shut it down.

Return to “Installation & Boot”