Grub error: no such partition Unknown File System

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ex 4722

Grub error: no such partition Unknown File System

Post by Ex 4722 »

I was deleting linux mint from my desktop and after I rebooted I got a message Grub error: no such partition Unknown File System
I can not do anything and i do not have a windows repair disk. Is there any way that i could fix this? I have a windows 7. I already searched up "ls" and all of the things are undefined.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ex 4722

Re: Grub error: no such partition Unknown File System

Post by Ex 4722 »

Sorry i forgot to add that i am able to enter one time boot menu with BIOS and stuff like that by pressing F12
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Ex 4722 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:13 pm I was deleting linux mint from my desktop and after I rebooted I got a message Grub error: no such partition Unknown File System
I can not do anything and i do not have a windows repair disk. Is there any way that i could fix this? I have a windows 7. I already searched up "ls" and all of the things are undefined.
When you say you have Windows 7, do you have the disk? You might be able to repair from that.

If not, you may still have a recovery partition on the hard drive. You would need to boot into that (key combinations depend on the make and model of your computer).
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

The easy fix is to remove grub using LILO. If there is msdos partition table (sudo parted -l tells) and grub is installed to /dev/sda, the process goes using linux liveDVD or USB the next way:

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install lilo mbr
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
How to remove grub using LILO -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8NVzkgdEA

Return to “Installation & Boot”