Won't boot on Ryzen 5 2500U without "nomodeset"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Apace

Won't boot on Ryzen 5 2500U without "nomodeset"

Post by Apace »

I tried installing Linux Mint on my new laptop (HP Envy x360 with Ryzen 5 2500U and Vega 8 Graphics) via USB Flash Drive. After I picked "Try Linux Mint without installing" a bunch text went by and the screen turned black without anything happening.

I researched the internet and I got the tip to press "e" and add "nomodeset" in the grub. With that I sucessfully installed Linux Mint in the hope that the drivers to fix the problem would get installed as well.

But after I reboot, it's the same problem again. I pick the OS, a bunch of text goes by and after that just a black screen unless I add the "nomodeset" option.

I also saw this thread and tried all the solutions suggested there.

Thank you in advance! If you need any error messages tell me how to get them and I will gladly provide them!

Stuff I tried that didn't fix the problem:
  • Updating Packages
  • Using Legacy Boot mode in my BIOS
  • Manually upgrading Kernel to 4.18
  • Using "radeon.modeset=0" instead of "nomodeset"
  • Installing amdgpu-pro
  • Trying other dristros: Ubuntu has the exact same issue, Manjaro a very similiar one
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Won't boot on Ryzen 5 2500U without "nomodeset"

Post by slipstick »

I have to use "nomodeset" on my machine. It's easy to make it permanent, so that you don't have to enter it every time you boot.

Edit (as Root) the file /etc/default/grub and add "nomodeset" (without the quotes) to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. Make sure it goes within the quote marks and if there is anything else like "quiet splash" just leave a space, for example GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset". Then open a terminal and enter this command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Apace

Post by Apace »

slipstick wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:24 pm It's easy to make it permanent, so that you don't have to enter it every time you boot.
I know it's easy to make permanent, but that's not my goal. I want Mint to run at my native resolution and have the power and efficiency I have with windows on this machine.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Apace wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:34 am I know it's easy to make permanent, but that's not my goal.
I had to read your post several times and to me it reads as if it is your goal, which has to be implied because you don't actually state what your goal is anyway.

Please post the output of this terminal command:

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Apace

Post by Apace »

I'm sorry I didn't express my goal very well. For me, nomodeset just seems like a temporary bodge solution nobody would actually want to use on a daily basis so I thought it would be obvious what my goal is. Sorry again.

Here is the output you asked for:

System:    Host: alan-HP-ENVY-x360-Convertible-13-ag0xxx Kernel: 4.18.16-041816-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 8.2.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: un-determined System: HP product: HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-ag0xxx serial: N/A
           Mobo: HP model: 8496 v: 92.42 serial: N/A
           UEFI: AMI v: F.20 date: 09/26/2018
Battery    BAT0: charge: 20.3 Wh 39.1% condition: 51.8/51.8 Wh (100%)
           model: 333-1C-52-A KC04053XL status: Charging
CPU:       Quad core AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Zen rev.0 cache: 2048 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 15968
           clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 1369 MHz 2: 1352 MHz 3: 1320 MHz
           4: 1362 MHz 5: 1403 MHz 6: 1476 MHz 7: 1397 MHz 8: 1566 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Vega [Radeon Vega 8 Mobile]
           bus-ID: 04:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: fbdev,ati (unloaded: modesetting,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 800x600@75.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: N/A version: N/A Direct Render: N/A
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 15e3
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 04:00.6
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 15de
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 04:00.1
           Sound: ALSA v: k4.18.16-041816-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek Device b822
           driver: r8822be port: f000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlo1 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 512.1GB (2.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: SK_hynix_BC501_HFM512GDJTNG size: 512.1GB

Partition: ID-1: / size: 60G used: 8.4G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p4
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 46.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 220 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 1011.4/15051.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...the generic 'nomodeset' will prevent the amdgpu driver from loading, which is what you eventually want loaded.
Theoritically (and well, 'ideally'), it should have been auto-detected & auto-loaded:
you'd likely see 'modesetting' & 'amdgpu' being used under inxi, but your inxi above shows fbdev loaded as a result.
I'd try testing with different kernel parameters instead of nomodeset.
Example parameters which i've seen around being helpful for Ryzen / Vega systems: iommu=soft, idle=nomwait...
If you could caught the 'bunch of text goes by and after that just a black screen', it will also very likely be helpful in researching it further.

Also, generally speaking, vendors nowadays don't really spend much time with BIOS (legacy) - most likely whatever optimizations / tweaks & testing gets done under UEFI. Your mileage may vary...
Apace

Post by Apace »

I tried the parameters you send, didn't do anything. The post you linked to suggested to disable C6 states, do you think this would be helpful in my situation?

I took a photo of the text going by when bootin without any parameters set and BIOS in secure mode, here is the transscript:

[	0.913407] AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter
[	0.926233] amd_gpio AMDI0030:00: Failed to get gpio IMQ: -22
[	0.943664] tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: can't request for resource [mem 0x94092000-0x94092fff]
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...i take it you've probably already stumbled upon this thread here?

...what i would do (nomosedet should not be set for reasons explained above):
sudo apt-get install git && git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git && sudo cp -v -u linux-firmware/amdgpu/* /lib/firmware/amdgpu && sudo update-initramfs -uk all
This will give you the very latest AMD firmware available. Reboot - if nada, try kernel 4.19. And if still nada...

...you could go completely *experimental*, and use a ppa for latest cutting edge mesa & xorg drivers.
This might happily break your system though
(especially if you've experimented / installed amdgpu-pro as you said previously, i really couldn't tell),
so absolutely make sure to have taken proper back-ups of your personal files first. I'm not really fond of such 'solutions' myself.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update Then install the packages offered...

Seriously, getting this up & running 'properly' might range from being extremely simple (ie. like changing a bios setting or updating such),
up to the most convoluted combination of long series of kernel parameters, updating firmware, updating mesa & xorg etc etc...
literally down the rabbit hole. That's just how it is with brand new hardware until things get sorted out...
Apace

Post by Apace »

Well, after a lot of tinkering I got Fedora to work. I will just use that until there is better Mint support for my Laptop. Thanks for all your help!
keylawsh

Post by keylawsh »

Hey I had the exact same problem.
Use the following guide to install ROCm AMD Radeon drivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GdusxYu_YA
Also make sure to update to at least kernel 4.20.

After this you should be able to boot without "nomodeset"

Return to “Installation & Boot”