USB mandatory [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vegeta80

USB mandatory [solved]

Post by vegeta80 »

Hi! Thank you in advance for your time ! I have a small issue:
I recently install Linux mint 64 cinnamon,permanently in one of my laptop (Dell latitude e6400), I had followed the instruction step by step and all went correctly.
I was happy with this system that I convinced my sister to try it out on her HP pavillion E15.
I d use the same booting USB I used for my Dell, but unfortunately the installation was success only half way. I could use the laptop only when starting it with the USB and use the system as a temporary.
Without the pen drive at the beginning the screen shows
" the selected boot device failed Press enter to continue."
Later I tried to reinstall and seems fine till the moment I have to restart the system, when asking to remove the installation medium, after removed it the screen shut down. And back again I have to start it with the USB.

[solved] I had UEFI enable plus I did mess up some options in Bios
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: USB mandatory

Post by Pierre »

it does depend, a little on what the original Operating System was:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
that's written for win-8x, but does apply to win-10 as well.

do have a read of that, and look at the sections on Fast Start,, Secure Boot,, UEFI areas.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: USB mandatory

Post by lsemmens »

Almost guaranteed that the device has UEFI enabled. If you are installing alongside windwoes then you are going to have to wait for someone with more experience than I to help you fix that. If not the you can disable it in BIOS and try again.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Installation & Boot”