[SOLVED] Dual booting with Windows after Linux Mint already installed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vpat

[SOLVED] Dual booting with Windows after Linux Mint already installed

Post by vpat »

Hi all,

I can't seem to find any information about this. Is it possible? Or do I need to have installed Windows first?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Dual booting with Windows after Linux Mint already installed

Post by Pierre »

do have a look at this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x, but does apply to win-10 as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

vpat wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:33 am Hi all,

I can't seem to find any information about this. Is it possible? Or do I need to have installed Windows first?
Because Windows cannot read Linux files, Linux should be installed AFTER Windows when dual-booting.

In your case, you can install Windows and then reinstall Linux alongside Windows or ... keep Linux installed and then install Windows alongside Linux but you will need to manually reinstall the Grub bootloader, ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/6
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Another option (and much more enjoyable than dual boot) is to install Windows in a VM, like Virtual Box.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Make at least one primary NTFS-partition for Windows and install Windows without formatting to that partition. Windows will break linux´s bootloader, so you need to repar grub after Windows installation.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a tower and it is difficult to bring it to the library, so I will have to wait until we get our internet monday to post whether or not this is SOLVED.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

"Another option (and much more enjoyable than dual boot) is to install Windows in a VM, like Virtual Box."
Sorry Wally, not audio support in Virtual Box and it is my recording/MIDI/editing/mastering software that remains the only reasons I can not abandon Windows altogether. JACK is hard for me to figure out, Wine won't completely run my software, if at all, and ALSA sound is just not as intuitive as windows sound card drivers.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

FWIW, I've found the last answer (by Fred Langa) in this TechNet discussion to work nicely with the VBox audio problem.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

Wow! If I can get full functionality out of virtual box that seems like a great solution. I'm glad you shared that link about audio. I will mark this as solved as soon as I get the internet and time enough to test it out.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

no. for some reason my windows installation stalls in virtual box. I just have to figure out how to install windows, then install linux on top of it. the uefi thing is something I've never encountered before. But now that I'm online I will carefully examine all of your suggestions before proceeding.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by throatgorge »

there doesn't seem to be enough ram to run a second OS in virtual box. I have less than 4 gigs. I just need to figure out how to keep my PC from trying to install systems in UEFI mode so I can install windows first, then install linux in a new partition.
throatgorge
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dual booting with Windows after Linux Mint already installed SOLVED

Post by throatgorge »

ok got a version of windows xp to install in virtualbox instead of 10. installed guest additions and everything works. SOLVED.
AronGii1978
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AronGii1978 »

throatgorge wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm "Another option (and much more enjoyable than dual boot) is to install Windows in a VM, like Virtual Box."
Sorry Wally, not audio support in Virtual Box and it is my recording/MIDI/editing/mastering software that remains the only reasons I can not abandon Windows altogether. JACK is hard for me to figure out, Wine won't completely run my software, if at all, and ALSA sound is just not as intuitive as windows sound card drivers.
Yeah, I switched to Linux mint two years ago, now updated to 21.1 this week after my old hard drive maxed out mid-update (Timeshift) and it took me a week and a half to get back in it! I found Windows 10 on an old drive from my mining rig, and used it to get everything started back up, and new Linux plugged in properly (had a bunch of issues with UEFI vs not in safe mode, had to manually size partitions, etc. It was a really great learning experience, though I would have loved to actually get other work done this month. lol
But since switching, I came to see that all the games I want to run from Steam or GOG, are made for Windows only. I have tried all the tricks, and have had no success - WINE, the beta version inside steam to play on Linux. etc. etc. Today I am using the Virtual Box for the first time, and did get a version of Windows 8.1 to work in it, and figured out how to get Steam loaded in to THAT virtual machine/drive. But so far, it is not liking my log in credentials, which I updated in my other regular browser, and the screen seems like it is not going to allow proper set up - and it's all pretty laggy as well. I WANT MY GAMES BACK!! So much new good stuff too. I usually don't play much, about every ten years I will binge pretty hard on something great - last one was Skyrim, when I was recovering from a hernia surgery, and played it non-stop for about 3 weeks, plus off and on for the following year.

I don't want to dual boot Windows, I just don't trust it not to corrupt my new Sabrent 4.0 rocket hard drive - microsoft is such a creepy company and has ALWAYS had so many issues with viruses and malware. Starting to think it might be my only option though... or just buy a completely different set up for gaming (or a dedicated system like ps5 or Xbox etc. - or maybe Nintendo as my daughter is starting to get curious about games and Nintendo is still the king for kids oriented games!)

Been looking at if it's possible to run Windows from an external drive, but most sources say no. Maybe to put a dual boot on the external SDD with Linux, then the main system would see it since it runs mint 21? I have tried just booting my old windows from an external drive and so far no luck.. just goes back to the main system even when I change the boot order in BIOS.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :arrow: :idea: :idea:
Aaron Gii ~ California, USA ~ 2 yrs old in Linux land

Linux mint 21.1 Vera Cinnamon
Intel NUC i7-8559 with 24 Gib RAM and Sabrent 1tb Rocket 4.0 NVMe +512 SSD SATA storage

Return to “Installation & Boot”