Linux Mint on internal drive, Windows on external SSD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lumetters

Linux Mint on internal drive, Windows on external SSD

Post by lumetters »

New computer is Lenovo ideapad 320 15.6" Laptop, AMD A12-9720P Quad-Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows 10
Warnings about dual boot (Linux and Windows on same drive, different partitions) encouraged my buying a 256GB SSD for Windows.
Step-by-step, how would I get Mint installed on the laptop's drive and Windows 10 on the SSD external? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint on internal drive, Windows on external SSD

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

lumetters wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:14 am Step-by-step, how would I get Mint installed on the laptop's drive and Windows 10 on the SSD external?
To install Win 10 on the external USB SSD(this requires Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos mode), please refer to ... https://www.pcworld.com/article/3185777 ... drive.html

So, LM should also be installed in Legacy BIOS/MBR-ms-dos mode on the internal HDD = enable CSM(Compatibility Support Module) or Legacy BIOS and boot the Live LM media in Legacy BIOS mode from the Boot menu in BIOS Setup. Ensure that both SSD and HDD are in MBR/ms-dos mode, ie not GPT mode. To format the disks from GPT to MBR/ms-dos mode, you can launch the GParted program from the Live LM media, ie >Create new partition table >ms-dos >Apply.

If installing LM with the "Erase disk and install LM" method, it will be much easier and automatic.

In your case, it's a better option to use the manual "Something else" method because of the large 1TB internal HDD = create a Home partition that is a Primary partition, at the end of this space, about 900GB in size and mount-point set as home; a / or root partition that is a Primary partition, at the beginning of this space, ext4, about 100GB in size(= leftover disk space) and mount-point set as /. For LM 19, there is no need to create a Swap partition because a Swap file will be auto-created. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal HDD or /sda. ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/

Good luck.
lumetters

Post by lumetters »

Jumping the gun here?
This box is a HP G72 without Windows, but with Linux Mint 18.3. My wish is to install Windows on the SSD connected via USB. Ideas, please.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

lumetters wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 pm Jumping the gun here?
This box is a HP G72 without Windows, but with Linux Mint 18.3. My wish is to install Windows on the SSD connected via USB. Ideas, please.
Buy an external USB 2.0 hard-drive enclosure and install the 256GB SSD into it.? ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=externa ... 8Q_AUIEigB

The HP G72 should be an old Legacy BIOS/MBR-msdos computer, ie LM 18.3 has been installed in this mode. So, you can proceed to install Win 10 on the external USB SSD as per the above link, ie by using the WintoUSB program. You need to have the Win 10 ISO file ready.

Alternatively, you can install Win 10 on the internal hard-drive and then install LM on the external USB SSD. ...
http://linuxbsdos.com/2013/10/23/how-to ... ard-drive/ - How to Install Ubuntu 13.10 on an external hard drive

Return to “Installation & Boot”