[SOLVED] How to remove Ubuntu and shift to Linux Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GuardianAbraxas

[SOLVED] How to remove Ubuntu and shift to Linux Mint?

Post by GuardianAbraxas »

Greetings and Salutations,

Introduction:
I have been getting into Linux a lot lately and love it. My laptop is very old so I thought I'd give it life again by installing a lightweight OS on it.
I have tried many and now have Ubuntu. I heard about LinuxMint and it just seems like the perfect one for me. It has all the things aesthetically and feature wise that I am looking for in an OS. Unfortunately I am having some trouble shifting.

What I Tried:
1. Burned LinuxMint (Cinnamon) onto a 8Gb Flashdrive successfully and tried to boot into it (didn't work).
2. Tried every setting in the BIOS e.g changing boot order, UEFI settings and legacy options (plus their combinations) (didn't work).
3. Watched a lot of guides but couldn't find a step that could help my situation.

Information: (If it helps)
- I used to have Windows 10 on this Lenovo Laptop (runs Lenovo's BIOS).
- I first tried Chromium (please don't hurt me) and some other distros and then ended up on Ubuntu.
- Ubuntu is just booting into it's version of Boot-screen which used to be the step that booted the OS from the USB.
- Each time I've installed an OS, I've cleaned my disk fully so there's no problem there.

Regards,
Abraxas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to remove Ubuntu and shift to Linux Mint?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Insert the bootable USB, you should find under Bios a booting section which should give you ability to boot from USB.In my computer under BIOS I have a disks section so I had to manipulate both to boot from USB.
Since your computer is old secure boot under Bios may not be there. Try disabling it if it's found.
Good luck
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Often the BIOS setting for USB priority is ignored. Usually immediately after turning on the PC repeatedly pressing a particular key will show up a boot menu where you can select to boot from the USB. The right key can be found in your manual. For my Lenovo it is F12, so there is a chance it might work on your Lenovo too.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

A specific model of your laptop might help us narrow down your problem, too.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
GuardianAbraxas

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:29 pm Insert the bootable USB, you should find under Bios a booting section which should give you ability to boot from USB.In my computer under BIOS I have a disks section so I had to manipulate both to boot from USB.
Since your computer is old secure boot under Bios may not be there. Try disabling it if it's found.
Good luck
Thankyou, I will try to do this step.
If it doesn't work, I'll reset BIOS to default and try to change the setting then.
GuardianAbraxas

vansloneker wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:19 pm Often the BIOS setting for USB priority is ignored. Usually immediately after turning on the PC repeatedly pressing a particular key will show up a boot menu where you can select to boot from the USB. The right key can be found in your manual. For my Lenovo it is F12, so there is a chance it might work on your Lenovo too.
Boot priority for USB is enabled but still isn't working.
I am able to get into BIOS. For me, it is F2.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

GuardianAbraxas wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:34 am
vansloneker wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:19 pm Often the BIOS setting for USB priority is ignored. (...)
Boot priority for USB is enabled but still isn't working.
I am able to get into BIOS. For me, it is F2.
Setting the boot order in the BIOS (which, as you were told above, and as you noticed in practice, is often ignored) is not the same thing as setting a temporary boot priority in the boot menu. It is probably worth trying to get into that boot menu. Try that F12 that vansloneker suggested.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

Often, the boot menu key is also displayed as a message on the screen, immediately after powering on the system, at a bout the same time as the bios message appears.
GuardianAbraxas

Setting the boot order in the BIOS (which, as you were told above, and as you noticed in practice, is often ignored) is not the same thing as setting a temporary boot priority in the boot menu. It is probably worth trying to get into that boot menu. Try that F12 that vansloneker suggested.
Thanks a lot, I will try it.
GuardianAbraxas

vansloneker wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:01 am Often, the boot menu key is also displayed as a message on the screen, immediately after powering on the system, at a bout the same time as the bios message appears.
Thanks, it finally worked!
I am now part of LinuxMint. Thankyou for having me.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

My pleasure and enjoy Linux!

Return to “Installation & Boot”