Gparted

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Gparted

Post by borgward »

Just installed Mint Cinnamon 19.0. Did erase everything and LVM. I usually do "Something Else" and create:
/dev/sda1 ext
/dev/sda5 swap
/dev/sda6 ext4 home
/dev/sda7 ext4 extra space at end.

The Installer said it would be easier to change partitions if I did LVM.
How do I resize sda1 so that I can create a home, and other partitions. 120 GB HDD. sda1 is 119.79 GiB? /dev/sda1 is unmounted. I booted from the Install disk.
umount /dev/sda1
umount: /dev/sda1: not mounted.

If I do a "Something Else" install how do I make it LVM, or can I
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Gparted

Post by JerryF »

I don't know why the installer says that LVM is easier to manipulate partitions. Gparted can't resize/move LVM partitions. I experimented with that and this is what shows as an LVM disk:

Click to enlarge:
Shutter_033.jpg
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

borgward wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:16 pm Just installed Mint Cinnamon 19.0. Did erase everything and LVM. I usually do "Something Else" and create:
/dev/sda1 ext
/dev/sda5 swap
/dev/sda6 ext4 home
/dev/sda7 ext4 extra space at end.
This is rather strange-- /dev/sda1 would normally be mounted as /
Plus partitioning the extra space seems to defeat the purpose of overprovisioning in itself.
Please show a gparted screenshot of your sda drive
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Sorry about the typo
sda1 would be /
I would then have swap, /home, followed by a little open space.

Can not send screen shot of how LVM showed up in Gparted. I could not get anything done in Gparted because it said the HDD was mounted. Did umount from terminal - it said it was unmounted (ran Gparted from the install disk) I finally ran dd to wipe the drive and start over. I think the installer is mistaken about LVM making it easier to make changes to the partitions. I was installing mint cinnamon 19.0.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Just leave the 10 percent-ish at the end of the drive unallocated and you should be good to go
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
erikjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by erikjan »

Dear all41,

why is this:
Just leave the 10 percent-ish at the end of the drive unallocated and you should be good to go
?

Greetings

Erik Jan
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

erikjan wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 am Dear all41,

why is this:
?

Greetings

Erik Jan
To allow the drive to reassign "bad blocks" to good blocks at the end of the drive.
the SMART controller will do that behind the scenes protecting your data from loss if no free blocks are available to move the "data out of the bad blocks" to a good block.

this is especially important on SSD drives
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

Gparted is not the correct tool for manipulating LVM drives. Use the LVM tools provided for that.

Managing LVM drives is not hard, but it requires learning. Start with viewtopic.php?f=42&t=108442&p=610295&hi ... es#p610295
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Managing LVM may not be hard, but if all you are interested in is a simple Linux install, then use a simple Linux partitioning scheme. Separate /home from the rest of / on its own partition, provide some SWAP space, and if there is some minor space at the end of the drive - let it be. I always recommend a separate /home partition to isolate it for future upgrades, provide for easy backup and recovery of personal data, and to keep runaway logs from filling up your entire disk.

Managing an SSD with the TRIM function to clear out extants is a matter of a simple cron job that runs on a weekly or monthly basis, and if you don't have properly allocated and formatted space, it is impossible for your OS to access that phantom space on a hard drive.

The use of things like LVM or BTRFS and other things on a simple single OS and single user system is an absolutely needless complication. I have used various Linux and BSD distros since the mid 1990's and have never found a need to add complexity to an already stunningly stable and secure OS.

This is not to say that a business or major enterprise running a Linux based system won't benefit from RAID, BTRFS, LVM, and other system administration goodies, but for most of the rest of us it's not necessary.

Return to “Installation & Boot”