Surface Pro 3 Live USB - Wifi Issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pez4040

Surface Pro 3 Live USB - Wifi Issues

Post by pez4040 »

I have been playing around with Linux Mint 18.3 and 19 for a few months now in a VirtualBox. Things have gone well and I wanted to see how it worked on my real hardware (Surface Pro 3). I had a USB External Harddrive that I loaded the Live USB system on. I booted this without incident. The desktop was sharp and the system connected to my wifi network without incident.

Just as I was thinking it may be time to get rid of windows, the wifi connection drops. I checked the network connections and there are no wifi networks available. I clicked Rescan for networks and nothing happens. Turned wifi off and on, and it said wifi unavailable. I could never get a connection after this happened. I could get a connection if I plugged in a cable from the router. Going back to windows, the network connected fine. All other computers on the network are working also. Any ideas what to try?

Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pez4040

Re: Surface Pro 3 Live USB - Wifi Issues (Update)

Post by pez4040 »

I never received any replies on this topic but have some additional information Hopefully, this will help get some answers.

Since this was first posted, I have tried installing Linux Mint 19.1, Ubuntu 18.04.1 and Fedora 29. All of these were installed onto an external USB harddrive. Within minutes of booting Linux, the wifi connection will hang. When I check the available wireless networks, there are none listed. There is no way to get the network again without a reboot.

When I go back to Windows 10, I do have this situation on occasion. However, when the issue happens, I can disconnect and connect to my network and all begins working immediately.

This makes me think it is a Surface Pro 3 issue, but the fact that all networks are lost on Linux makes it hard for me to make the jump. I can't reboot every 15-20 minutes. Is there something I can look at to see what's happening? Has anyone ever seen an issue where there are no networks listed for the wireless networks?

I'd really like to go the Linux route, but looks like I am going to have to wait until I get some new hardware. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Jeff
pez4040

[SOLVED] Surface Pro 3 Live USB - Wifi Issues

Post by pez4040 »

I seemed to have resolved my issues with the wifi on my Surface Pro 3. I found the following and gave it a try. It's been over two days now with no wifi disconnects.

https://pastebin.com/aBLHBFak

Jeff

Return to “Installation & Boot”