Mint v19 install fails with "Errno 5"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Busker
Level 1
Level 1

Mint v19 install fails with "Errno 5"

Post by Busker »

I spent most of yesterday trying to load Linux Mint 19.0 Tara on an Asus U56E that came infected with Win7 that had been involuntarily updated to Win10. I was trying to load it from bootable thumb drives but the installation kept failing with "Errno 5 - input/output error."

I made the first attempt using the same exact media I had used to load Mint 19 on my desktop two weeks ago, so I didn't think there could be anything wrong with that particular media, but I fell down the rabbit hole anyway.

Before I was done I had used four different brands of thumb drive (Sony, Sandisk, Kingston and Samsung) flashed using four different methods (Rufus and Pen Drive Linux's universal USB installer on Win7 and Mint's native USB Image Writer and good ol' "dd") using four separately downloaded Mint 19 ISOs (each one individually verified by SHA256) and eventually trying all three of the laptop's USB ports.

I repeatedly deleted all partitions, then rebooted and recreated the entire scheme from scratch. Sometimes I created my preferred scheme manually, sometimes I selected automatic partitioning, even tried lvm. I also removed the HDD from the laptop, loaded it into a USB dock and tested it with every disk utility known to man under both Win7 and Mint 19 and couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Nonetheless, I pre-formatted it with my Mint 19 desktop, put it back in the laptop and tried it again. But the install still failed with "Errno 5."

Sometimes it failed while downloading the third party drivers, sometimes it waited until the install routine proper, after asking for all the configuration particulars. But always it failed with the same error.

No idea if this is relevant but this laptop is UEFI Boot-capable but not enabled. It hadn't been enabled from the factory with Win7 and I saw no need to borrow trouble. I note also that this isn't a bot-up problem. The LiveCD loads and runs fine. The install routine just bombs out, for reasons that at this juncture I'm pretty sure must be related to some quirk I can't isolate with this HDD or the install routine itself.

So after all this I loaded Mint 18.3's ISO on one of the thumb drives I had used unsuccessfully with v19 and v18.3 installed without a hitch.

All that to get to this. I normally only run the odd-numbered versions of Mint anyway but the MoBo failed on my desktop and after replacing it with a different model I opted to load v19.0 on it rather than going back to v18.3. And I just came by this Asus laptop a couple of days ago, which is why I'm ignoring old habits and loading a dot-zero version anyway. And all this leads me to ask if this is a widespread problem and can I expect the same from v19.1 when it is released. Which is the version I had hoped to hold out for in the first place.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jglen490

Re: Mint v19 install fails with "Errno 5"

Post by jglen490 »

So, with a successful install of 18.3, let's examine your machine. Open up a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Then post the output inside a CODE box (the </> button in the reply box).
Busker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Busker »

Apologies for leaving this so long but I still need to update this OS.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: shamhat Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9) Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: U56E v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: U56E v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: U56E.213 date: 12/21/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 827 MHz 2: 1021 MHz 3: 913 MHz
           4: 842 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-45-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet
           driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: a000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (2.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54757 size: 750.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 682G used: 14G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.34GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2200
Info:      Processes: 217 Uptime: 6 days Memory: 1154.1/7879.9MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Busker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Busker »

I installed 19.1 on the same hardware and it all went okay. So whatever the problem was apparently was isolated to 19.0's install routine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”