(Solved)Reconfigure grub..delete older mint install.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billpay
Level 2
Level 2

(Solved)Reconfigure grub..delete older mint install.

Post by billpay »

I did a fresh install of Mint 19 and kept the older installation to gradually move things over slowly. The boot order still boots the older install first.
1 Mint 18
2. Windows 7 ..on separate drive
3. Mint 19
Would like to delete Mint 18 and have 19 as first boot...win7 second.
Have been reading up on grub but at this point the more I read the more confused I get.
Thank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PoppyB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Reconfigure grub..delete older mint install.

Post by PoppyB »

I don't see replies to your post & this is not a resolution reply. I also dual booted with mint18.3 then mint19. As usual the last to be installed takes first place on boot. I don't want this! I want mint18.3 to boot first. I've read through several post regarding how to modify grub to set the preferred boot sector but none of them worked - so, I'm still looking for a way to modify the boot order. Any NEW post on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
billpay
Level 2
Level 2

Post by billpay »

I have the opposite problem. When I installed 19 it did not put itself first in the boot order. Stayed third???? It should have been first.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

billpay wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pm I have the opposite problem. When I installed 19 it did not put itself first in the boot order. Stayed third???? It should have been first.
Should have been first...yes, but I suspect you put the boot loader on the 19 partition sdaX, instead of the drive sda.
So if you delete the mint 18 partition at this point, you probably won't be able to boot without reinstalling grub.

The easiest fix, IF you have the room to keep mint 18, is change the boot order from the mint 18.

The best fix, is to reinstall 19 over 18, you really don't want an empty space at the beginning of the disk. Moving partions after the fact would be slower than a re-install, and have more risk that something "may" go wrong.

If you decide to go the easy way....
Have been reading up on grub but at this point the more I read the more confused I get.
Don't make it harder than it is, all need be done is change a "0" to another number like 2 or 3, depends on what your grub menu looks like now.
say it looks like this as a crude example. (first item is zero)

#0 Mint 18
#1 mint 18 recovery bla bla
#2 win 7
#3 Mint 19

And you want mint 19 to be first boot option, then edit /etc/default/grub and change the first uncommented line that reads GRUB_DEFAULT=0.
change the 0 to a 3 save and exit, then run sudo update-grub. Remember to do this from mint 18

A slightly different way here, (mostly the same but has an extra command) http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/07/20/grub ... ntu-16-04/
Last edited by rickNS on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

PoppyB wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:29 pm I don't see replies to your post & this is not a resolution reply. I also dual booted with mint18.3 then mint19. As usual the last to be installed takes first place on boot. I don't want this! I want mint18.3 to boot first. I've read through several post regarding how to modify grub to set the preferred boot sector but none of them worked - so, I'm still looking for a way to modify the boot order. Any NEW post on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
PoppyB hi,

Your solution is pretty much the same as the answer I gave above, except you'll do it from/with Mint 19
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
billpay
Level 2
Level 2

Post by billpay »

Thanks for the all the replys .I did reconfigure grub trough mint 18. Booting correctly.
And you guys were right. Should have saved stuff on an usb and reinstalled all fresh. Next time.
PoppyB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Solved)Reconfigure grub..delete older mint install.

Post by PoppyB »

rickNS, thanks for your reply - just what was needed. Thanks again

Return to “Installation & Boot”